Large Scale Central

Early but food for thought

I do believe Fred has an original idea for the up coming MIK. Maybe Dave_Taylor will see the merit in this comment though I think the $3.00 a bit low for some.

Interesting. A modification of a model (?) freight car already on hand (“existing”), if I’m understanding correctly? If so, the price is of no concern, since it’s already on hand, and was bought before the contest.

But yes, I like the idea.

Unfortunately, the theme has to be secret until the unveiling… But it’s a great idea I think, at least for some year.

Just broaden it to “modify an existing piece of rolling stock or motive power to perform…” The secret theme then becomes the duty…bulk cargo, express freight, MOW, etc. That should be broad enough to cover all eras and themes and include prototypical to fantastical.

The MIK is coming!

Eric

I think the $3.00 a bit low for some.
[/quote]

:broom:

Naah, I just happen to need exactly $3.00 worth of filament for my 3D printer and the rest of the $300 worth of stuff I put on my Mik build I just happened to have on hand in my parts bin so I would honestly be just fine myself!

I absolutely believe that. I rarely have to buy anything for projects around the house. I’m a terminal hoarder :grin:

Cliff, yes the price of the car is of no consequence. However, if the challenge is to MODIFY an existing car, then the price of those modifications is of consequence. Detail parts (except for those with 3D printers) have gotten rather expensive. And I agree that $3.00 is not very realistic. A pair of USAT plastic truck side frames and a set of metal axles is in excess $15.00.

For those with 3D printers, I think the challenge should mandate a list of printed parts so a camparitive cost structure can be established.

My tuppence.

Though like anything the investment can skyrocket overnight. But as Pete Lassen has shown in the past adding personalized graffiti even with the help of family, or a repaint to get a specific car as I’ve seen John Miller doing recently, both makes the piece personal. Customizing a flat car load, adding weathering to any assortment of cars, painting the caps on the axle bearings blue are all mods that don’t cost an arm and a leg but do add to your scene. Hell not too far back they created whole cars with a thirty dollar budget. :sunglasses: