Large Scale Central

E.B.T. #15

Ken Brunt said:

John Passaro said:

Loco112 . said:

It is slanted like that on purpose, if you ever get a chance to, read the Baldwin spec sheets some time.

That is to keep the fuel forward and in the pickups mounted at the front of the tender.

Post them here please, or at least quote the relevant specs; that would be very relevant to this discussion and helpful. Thanks.

I don’t think he’ll be back…he’s become “persona non grata”…:wink:

Well done Ken! I like Latin!! I think you’re right though, now I know the guy you’re talking about. Speaking of romance languages, I remember thinking reading that discussion that the “loco” did NOT stand for locomotive if you know what I mean.

John Passaro said:

the “loco” did NOT stand for locomotive if you know what I mean.

I got that impression myself…:wink:

I believe that is the Muey variety…

Paul, they were not a standard design in the sense that the EBT opened up a Baldwin catalog and said “two of these, please.” EBT #11 (the 2-6-2; the first EBT loco with a trailing truck) was pretty much a custom design for the EBT, incorporating features that were becoming very popular with standard gauge locos of that era–particulary the wide firebox which necessitated the trailing truck. This new style of firebox gave much better steaming capacity compared to the 2-6-0s, 4-6-0s, and 2-8-0 the EBT was running.

With the success of #11, the EBT went to Baldwin asking them to build them another one, but make it bigger. Baldwin took that design and added a 4th set of drivers, delivering #12. (Also increasing the boiler diameter and tender size, but essentially the same.) The next two mikados were similar extensions of #12, just a bit larger. If recall, they built these to the maximum weight per axle that the rail they were using at the time would permit. I believe–and I’d have to go back and confirm this–that the EBT upgraded the rail after #14 and #15 were built, so when they ordered the last three mikados, they could order them to be even larger. It’s either that or the largest mikes were built to the maximum rail loading, but it seems to me the former was the case and they upgraded the rails prior to the last “batch” of mikes.

So, while not a “catalog” design originally, Baldwin didn’t have to reinvent the wheel every time the EBT wanted a new loco, either. Baldwin was very good about shopping existing designs to other railroads, though, so if another narrow gauge railroad was in need of a 2-8-2, they would have undoubtedly offered the EBT-design mikes as an option, perhaps working from there to get the final loco for that railroad. There’s evidence that Baldwin tried to sell the EBT and ET&WNC on the idea of articulated based on the locos they built for the Unitah.

Later,

K

Thanks for all the replies to my question. The suspension being broken sounds very plausible compared to being designed with the tender body tilted forward. Seeing the photos of 15 after its rebuild showing the tender level proves that out to me. I was seeing it mostly in the videos on youtube.

15’s tender was rebuilt at the same time as the loco, and did spend a season riding behind 14 when problems appeared in 14’s tender. Here is a shot I took of 15’s tender in the Rockhill yard up on blocks during the rebuild…

Jon, Nice shot of the tender.

FYI Note that there is rusting on the water legs. Coal dust and fines when wet, create a rather acetic slush, mush. When this stuff dries out, it sets up like cement. On the 315, we clean out the coal bin on a regular schedule, Both to prevent the rusting, and to free up the good stuff locked in the bottom.

Also notice the extra “sheeting” around the bottom of the water legs at the front. That is put there to reinforce and protect the bottom. That area gets banged up pretty bad from the shovel scooping. The side wall of the water tank is rather thin by comparison to the lining in the coal bin.

Now I completely understand Napkin Builder. Honestly I figured it was some hairbrained idea Rooster came up with. Now I realize it was some other “Pollo Loco”

Jake Smith said:

Now I completely understand Napkin Builder. Honestly I figured it was some hairbrained idea Rooster came up with. Now I realize it was some other “Pollo Loco”

That’s refereed to as “Turning the Page and Keeping up”…:wink:

Kevin Strong said:

Paul, they were not a standard design . . .

With the success of #11, the EBT went to Baldwin asking them to build them another one, but make it bigger. Baldwin took that design and added a 4th set of drivers, delivering #12. (Also increasing the boiler diameter and tender size, but essentially the same.) The next two mikados were similar extensions of #12, just a bit larger. . . . .

So, while not a “catalog” design originally, Baldwin didn’t have to reinvent the wheel every time the EBT wanted a new loco, either. Baldwin was very good about shopping existing designs to other railroads, though, so if another narrow gauge railroad was in need of a 2-8-2, they would have undoubtedly offered the EBT-design mikes as an option, . . .

Later,

K

I have models o #12 and #15, and it is interesting to note they look almost the same size - #12 has a shorter tender.

The White Pass & Yukon had a 2-8-2 very simila to these, but with 44" drivers. I don’t know whether it came before, during or after.

Similar, but I can definitely see some differences.