Large Scale Central

Durango & Silverton Alco

The Eureka and Palisade still runs? Your back is either fit or stuffed! Herself purchased the Bachmann E&P years ago when she caught the train bug, not that it’s ever been run… sigh.

No… the E&P doesn’t run… But the Eureka 4-4-0 has been restored and still runs on occasions. I believe it’s next outing will be a the Nevada State RR Museum in Boulder City, just outside Las Vagas NV this spring and in the summer too. Ck their web site for running. She last ran with us ( 315/425 ) at the Iron Horse Round Up ( 5 pre 1900 steam locos all running at the same place, Historic), on the C&T a couple of years ago…

1 Like

John

I understand that the black locomotives are built by National Railway Equipment Company in Mount Vernon, Ill. The CBC website quoted the YP&Y superintendent as saying, “We were lucky enough to coordinate with some narrow-gauge locomotives being built for Australia, so we tacked on to their order.”

They don’t appear to be mentioned on the WP&Y website and I suspect it’s Queensland, but I can’t find these locomotives here. What are they designated as?

Those are neat looking.

Yes, I do live in Ft. Worth and Ft. Worth is known as you said, “Where the West Begins”. Other names for the city are “Cowtown”, which was probably named for having the second largest stockyards in the U.S. back in the day. My railroad the Fort Worth & South-Western is a take-off on the old Fort Worth Belt RR that serviced the stockyards and was owned by the Texas & Pacific RR, one of the eight railroads that service Ft. Worth back in the day. Fort Worth truly has some cool history and much is still in place today, the stockyards are a tourist attraction and much of it is still there for guest to visit. Thanks for your interest, trainman

I knew there was some kind of guvmint/insurance snafu, but wasn’t positive about the reason.
Here’s the US Forest service up in our area:
Washington: You can only ride your side by side from your camp spot on certain marked roads.
Idaho: Ride them anywhere (Have to be street legal) on any road on forest service lands.
The USFS May be only one part of the US guvmint, but each state makes their own rules. In fact each Nat Forest rules differ from each other.
Same with BLM lands.
It is crazy. We have to carry a huge bunch of booklets with us to make sure we can legally ride or pee on the side of the road. :grinning:

My take on it is doesn’t matter what is heating the boiler: I still get to see those valve gears working or ride behind a steam locomotive.

Bob, there are vids all over Tube showing them in action.

John, That’s a nice paint job. Kind of SP “Black Widow looking”

True, I’ve always like the SP paint schemes and the Black Widow being my favorite. My new paint scheme for my RR and this LGB 2056 Rio Grande repaint has the Texas & Pacific colors, as the T & P did own the railroad back in the day. Notice the added front headlight on the cab hood, it is a Mars light. This new paint scheme is the upgrade paint scheme for the railroad.

2 Likes

Toolbox on wheels is the best description I’ve heard. :crazy_face:

1 Like

No, don’t let go of the steam engines, I just went to diesel because my railroad time period is in the 1950’s and just thought I wanted a change in my railroad time period. I have redone two LGB Moguls to my railroad (F W & S W) railroad if I want run in the steam era. These engines have Rail Pro installed and they are battery power as well. Yes, I can run both steam and diesel both in the 1950’s time period. Pics of my two LGB engines redone to my liking and converted to oil burners as in Ft. Worth back in that time we had no coal engines. Note, they a patterned after the D&RGW engines as they were some of my favorites.

2 Likes

The D&S got sued by farmer(s) after setting their land on fire one summer, hence the insurance payouts, and the plan to switch to oil.

We visited a couple of summers ago, and they were running 3 daily trains. The early (8am) was a diesel-hauled stopping train, and took the backpackers, walkers, zipliners, and other folk who weren’t there for the trains to various drop-off points on the line.
The second train was the 9am Silverton non-stop, a double-header with a K and SP #18 on the point. The SP is an oil-burner, so besides it helping out, they were learning to fire an oil-burner.
The 3rd train is the 10am short trip, single steam-hauled, up to Cascade Canyon and back by 1:30pm.

Of the 3 or 4 diesels they got from the WP&Y, one was in pieces (for parts, I think) and one was on test, hauling a bunch of rebuilt EBT hoppers.

couldn’t agree more Korm.

D&S also got the blame for a big fire a few years back. If they had enforced the ruling that D&S was responsible for the damages it would have put them out of business which would have killed the economy in both Durango and Silverton.

Sounds like they settled for requiring insurance and because of the previous issue, insurance co said no coal.

Kinda makes sense IF you agree D&S was responsible for that fire spreading. I see it a bit different as locals put the fire out at the tracks where it would have been noticed by the RR, but then lost control further up the hill.

IMG_7692
IMG_7690
IMG_7689

Just imagining the D&S receiving its first high speed heritage listed tilt train.

this thread has officially gone off the rails. And that opens the door for me to say I still want to build a narrow gauge mogal streamliner.

Off the rails is OK, as long as it doesn’t get nasty and picking peoples post apart. You can always learn from what other post and that’s a good thing.

Speaking of the D&S…

1 Like

The Irony of this is that about year ago, The D&S started some clear cutting logging on their right of way, as fire mitigation, this after they were blamed for starting a fire. And the forest service went to court and got a STOP order, claiming that they ( D&S ) hadn’t gotten a proper permit for logging thru them. Now understand… the D&S took over all rights and such from the D&RGW for the original right of way that was filed in 1880. Long time before there even was a forest service. The original right of way, gave them ( the D&RG ) total control of the assigned land.

There is still a on going legal discussion between the D&S an the Forrest service ( and closely followed by all RRs ) over jurisdiction over their ROWs. Here’s the just… the Forest Service will sue for damages if a train starts a fire along the track side, But the Forrest Service won’t allow clearing along the ROW. RR says the fire was the results of not being able to properly clear the ROW, And Forrest Service sites Environmental regs that they are not allowed to violate. Then toss in the extreme tree huggers that filed a lawsuit to stop, the Forrest Service from doing a prescribed burn for about 12 years in the area and stopped them from thinning the forrest also, then a fire started and went way out of control. Poor D&S caught in a true catch 22.

BTW: The Durango Herald newspaper is a very far Left reaching newspaper. They have been caught ahead of time setting up several “Gotcha” events against the D&S. Even advocating to close the D&S and turn the ROW into a bike trail.

Full Disclosure for those that don’t know. I live in Farmington NM. about 40 miles South of Durango. The Durango Herald is considered a Local newspaper. I also set on the Board of Directors for The Durango Railroad Historical Socity ( we own and operate D&RGW 315 Coal Fired Steam engine [C-18, 2-8-0, Baldwin 1895] ) And I actively crew and run 315.