Large Scale Central

Different type of 3D printers for modeling

For the technically inclined FreeCAD is a great program. It can be intimidating to those mathematically shy, but if you like approaching things with a technical bent you would be hard pressed to find a more capable program.

Dan, I wasn’t able to find the free version as of this morning; could you post a link to it? I’m sure it would really help some folks if it were still free.

Sketchup used to be free as well; I wonder of there is still a limited free version of that?

Cliff,
There are 2 free versions. The online version is here Trimble Identity
and the standalone one is called Sketchup Make 2017 Download All | SketchUp
You must sign on to Trimble to use or download.
-Dan

Here ya go, Cliff.

Most everyone has already given you as much advice as I would have given. But here is some food for thought in regards to this specific comment. I mention this especially since you have young children where this tech will not be new but a daily reality.

CAD is certainly a monstrous beast; however, it is one that can be slayed. I knew nothing of CAD design a year ago, literally nothing. Thanks to a lot of help from Dan H, I jumped into Fusion 360. Its has a free version that is more than suitable for our needs. Once some basic principles are learned you are able to really start using its power. Most all the techniques, even the newest ones to me that Dan is teaching me, all play off the basics. While the initial learning curve can be steep it flattens quickly.

Once you get the hang of it, the world of modeling opens up. If you can dream it, you can likely produce it. And once the initial outlay of the machinery is bought and paid for, it relatively inexpensive. A bottle of resin goes a long way when you are printing small detail parts. I can’t speak to FDM as I have never played with it for its mileage costs.

And here is my plea to get involved in it, ESPECIALLY, in your case. Imagine if you will, your kids graduate high school as qualified seasoned CAD draftsman with a good handle on 3D manufacturing. How much farther ahead would they be if they could offer their design skills to a company ahead of their peers learning it in college. Its not just the CAD, but understanding 3D manufacturing IS the future. Everything will be made using it. It basically already is. I have a friend who has made a good life as a CAD drafter. We have them on here. In my town we have a school called Ktec where Juniors and Seniors can spend half their school day at a trade school learning various trades. One of those trades is an automated manufacturing course. When I spoke to the instructor he told me of one of his success stories where he had a student that was wanting to be a physical therapist. But he also had an interest in 3D Manufacturing. He graduated high school with a certification in CAD and 3D manufacturing. He went on to get his four year degree toward physical therapy. Flash forward to two years ago(when I spoke to him) and that kid was working for a company designing mobility aids and physical therapy equipment.

So this can and should be used as more than just a hobby tool when it comes to children. While they are playing they could be developing life long skills. Not to mention that if we want to keep kids in the hobby, we are going to have to embrace this tech because that is what will drive them.

Thats my 2 cents