Large Scale Central

Different R-T-R tracks and their categories

Hi all,

A very subjective topic, but here goes.

Track that I consider to have a “toy-like” geometry:

Aristo (the turnouts that are R1 and/or have a radius through the frog), Bachmann, LGB, Piko, USA Trains (the R1 stuff)

Track that I consider to have a prototypical geometry:

AMS, Aristo (the numbered turnouts), Llagas Creek, SunsetValley, Thiel

Track that falls in between:

Train-Li

Those are the ones that come to mind right off the bat. I’ll add some more tomorrow. :wink:

(http://i.pbase.com/o4/78/33078/1/53881149.DicksCoyote216x288.gif)

Brian Donovan said:

(http://i.pbase.com/o4/78/33078/1/53881149.DicksCoyote216x288.gif)

Sheesh Brian, our one Husky (Misty) yawns just like that and she doesn’t read the fora. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

As an R1 user and supporter, I have NO issue with anyone calling R1 toylike, they are, but then all large scale items are ALL toys technicly, some are just more realistic than others. :wink:

Sorry HJ. I’m not sure what your intent was here - educational or just pissing folks off (or both!). I would have loved to use all #6 switches on my layout but at $100+/each compared to $45 for the wide radius switches its was a no brainer saving $1,000. The WR switches work well for me and no one has ever called by layout “toy like” (at least to my face but maybe they didn’t want to be thrown through the fence).

-Brian

As a user of 100% LGB track and R5 switches…

Sure, I would like to have Sunset Valley stainless code 250 and #8 or better switches.
I have enough area to use these.

But I was assuming I was going track power when I built the layout and ordered all the track.
So I am $thousands committed.

Can’t start over now.

Is code 332 brass toy-like, with its widely spaced ties and funny tie plates?
Sure it is!

But it will age to a nice dark brown and the ties will disappear in the ballast, so I will use it.

Besides, nobody will call it “toy-like”, except me.

j

Brian Donovan said:
Sorry HJ. I'm not sure what your intent was here - educational or just pissing folks off (or both!). I would have loved to use all #6 switches on my layout but at $100+/each compared to $45 for the wide radius switches its was a no brainer saving $1,000. The WR switches work well for me and no one has ever called by layout "toy like" (at least to my face but maybe they didn't want to be thrown through the fence).

-Brian

Hey Brian, it’s the track geometry that is (IMO) toy-like not necessarily the layouts, that’s a big difference! It’s about the track geometry!
Having emphasized that, I have seen more or less equal proportions of toy-like layouts built with toy-like track geometry, as I’ve seen realistic layouts with toy-like track geometry. Mind you when I look at the latter I always ask myself “Wouldn’t that look even better with more realistic track?”.

BTW Haven’t been thrown through a fance yet, what does that feel like? :wink: :slight_smile: :wink:

John Bouck said:
As a user of 100% LGB track and R5 switches....

Sure, I would like to have Sunset Valley stainless code 250 and #8 or better switches.
I have enough area to use these.

But I was assuming I was going track power when I built the layout and ordered all the track.
So I am $thousands committed.

Can’t start over now.

Is code 332 brass toy-like, with its widely spaced ties and funny tie plates?
Sure it is!

But it will age to a nice dark brown and the ties will disappear in the ballast, so I will use it.

Besides, nobody will call it “toy-like”, except me.

j

JB, you’re committed! :wink: :smiley:

We’ve known that jb has been committed for a long time, now. The problem is… he escaped!

The guys in the white coats with the butterfly nets are due this afternoon.

:smiley:

…no “Butterfly nets” these days…look out for the “Taser”…after a shot or three with one of them you need mental help, whether you needed it before or not…
Onward and upward…is civilization improving…I have my doubts…

According to a news report, which I heard. The thought is that “Civilization” has reached it’s peak of “Quality of life” several years ago; and has started it’s hundred year decline towards total stupidity and doom…

I’ve sort of believed that the human being, as the animal on the top of the food chain; has been working towards destroying the World ever since “He/she/it” learned how to use the word “Hate”, and use it…Greed soon took over and we all are contributing.

My only solance is that total stupidity probably will not be in full form within my lifetime, but it will be nip and tuck…

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded – here and there, now and then – are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as “bad luck.” L. Long, ca. 2341

Hey Steve,

That’s the same guy who coined “Shit happens!” isn’t it? And then one of my friends expanded that statement with “but why always to me?” :smiley:

Brian Donovan said:
Sorry HJ. I'm not sure what your intent was here - educational or just pissing folks off (or both!).
I don't think you need to apologize Brian. I believe you hit the nail square on the head- on at least one count.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“Toy-like geometry”

Yes, the tight curves–R1, R2, and even R3 (to some extent) are way to tight for a “prototypical” scale curve, except for trams or street cars that have to do a 90 degree. Or ore cars with mini locos.
But, what are you going to do, if you don’t have the spacial luxury of 15’ or better diameter curves?
You make do and enjoy the trains and space you have.
But, I’ll admit, that pulling a long car with most of the outside rail hanging out in view on a sharp curve doesn’t look quite right to me.
If I didn’t have the space, I would surely use smaller rolling stock.
But if you have R1’s and R1 turnouts, use them and enjoy your trains.
That’s what it is all about, isn’t it?
j

I would much rather be a scale modeler, but my personal economy will not allow it. So my GRR is “toy-like” with 4ft diameter curves and switches.
But I think a “toy-like” GRR is better than none at all.
I paid right at $1.00 a foot for my sectional track. Six Aristo switches cost me less than one “prototypical” switch would.
So while I would like to build and run a scale model railroad, I consider myself fortunate that I am able to play with “toy” trains !
Ralph

Hey guys, it is only certain people who get utterly browned off when they read toy-like geometry, by now I know who will likely object. No problem, other than they have a hard time accepting that I call it the way I see it, like it or lump it!
BTW nothing wrong with enjoying whatever you enjoy. :wink: :slight_smile:

instigator

noun

1. someone who deliberately foments trouble

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz