Large Scale Central

Devon's 2024 MIK - Featherkile Furnance and Foundry Shipping Building

Mik had no hobby room. he lived in a trailer. and not a big one.
but he never let himself down. he had no hobbyroom? well, the washingmashine had a flat top.
he had no razorsaw? he cut with a kitchenknife.
but he had an oval of track beside the trailer, with selfmade or bashed buildings and roling stock and he had fun!

3 Likes

thanks for Catching that John

Korm,

I really wish I would have been around during the actual MIK years of the challenge. I really do appreciate all the ingenuity that the must have had so that he could play in our hobby on a shoe string budget. From all I have gathered he proved you donā€™t have to have money to be a G scale modeler. But you had better have some good ā€œcobbling togetherā€ skills.

1 Like

Actually he had money, Iā€™m sure not a ton but itā€™s all in how he decided to spend it. Mik derived from his ladies name spelled backwards.

Just saying

3 Likes

interesting did not know thatā€™s where the nickname came from.

Roosterā€¦ Do you have any contact with Kim, and if so does she know that we still do his challenges?

1 Like

Dave,
ā€¦I do notā€¦ (20 characters yet)

Does anyone on this site?

c4_20240112_15285893_neYWr7BJ4H_v3yCPo543d

So resisting the urge to build. So I am gathering materials. And imagineering. As a reminder this is my take on the Carrick furnace blower and boiler.

I found a bag of concrete that I can sift the rock out of and use as morter. I am going to break down and buy the concrete patch to mix with it. I will use just strait concrete for filler once I have the walls and top of the base done with the cobble. I have wire hardware cloth for reinforcement. And thanks to George Bush I have plenty of corregated plastic sign material for the form. I bought a huge bush political sign back in the day for a buck. I have tons of pop cans for roofing plus some panels left over that are already made. I have 1/4 ply for the build. And all kinds of scrap wood for the details. I am thinking that other than the concrete patch I shouldnā€™t need to buy anything.

Will go old school and hand craft all the detail parts this year. This isnā€™t going to be a fancy build by no means. In fact I am already having trouble in my mind NOT adding details because this is a dumb idaho redneck back woods operation.

1 Like

You canā€™t use that word, you are too far north. Its reserved for those of us that are true rednecks :stuck_out_tongue:

Great job on the furnace, Devon. That strikes an eerie similarity to the original. Once the shipping building is added, it will become a nice industrial scene.

Well my first day was a bust. My only hope was to make the cement base with the exposed rock face. Epic fail. Hats off to Ray and Jim because i didnā€™t pull it off. Such a fail I donā€™t even want to make a second attempt. None of the rock really looked smooth and flat. And would have required a ton of cleaning and just wouldnā€™t have looked good. So now instead of stone I will make the base with wood cribbing. I am going to see what I have in pvc lumber and use the grain side of it for making some cribbing timbers.

Part of the problem is I do not want to be in my shop. We are in the negative single and double digits. Itā€™s freaking cold

Ugh! Sorry, Devon. None of my walls were particularly smooth. I filled the gaps with grout. And yes, a fair bit of cleanup. Sorry to lead you down a dead end. The cribbing will look great, Iā€™m sure.

If I recall Rayā€™s building Devon, he used nips on a number of the stones as he placed them to give them the flat face

Sorry to hear it didnā€™t turn out well, Devon. Photos may allow those that have tried this method before help give you pointers. Iā€™m not one of those folks, but I know there are others that would be glad to help.

But I do like the cribbing idea.

I think yours looked great and I will attempt this again at some point where I am not wanting a nice flat surface. I wanted that nice flat flagstone look and it just didnā€™t happen.

But as I was digging for scrap pvc wood to make the cribbing I came up with another idea and did a test piece and I like it. Ray and so many others have carved stone surfaces into other materials. I have done it with foam. I figured why not the smooth side of the pvc lumber. So I took a sharpie to it and then carved out the grout lines with the Dremel. I then used the Dremel to distress the stone faces. Some layering if paint using a dry brush technique and I think I have a winner.

It looks decent to me and will make it so the entire base is pvc. The only thing Iā€™d say is my grout lines are to big but I donā€™t have a smaller dremel bit.

Very cool. Now I see what you mean by smooth. Bruceā€™s technique would also work for you, Iā€™m guessing, but this carving will be a low risk (and warmer!) way to go.

King Fah is ruler of the poles. When he decides to send it, he sends us the Fah King Cold!!!

I thought I was on your cooking thread and this was the recipe prep page for Devonā€™s Devine Candied Bacon Ice Cream with a Salted Caramel Drizzle, but I wonā€™t because @Korm would say youā€™d be obligated to post the recipe with photos. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On the other hand I hear itā€™s pretty cold out in the shop, it will be getting dark soon, and the Test Kitchen is insideā€¦ emptyā€¦

Oh crap! That didnā€™t work now Iā€™m craving bacon.

That sounds good I might have to make that.

Holy cow itā€™s cold. Went out and cut down some of the pvc wood so I can start gluing it up and cut some pieces of the building. Wasnā€™t out there 15 minutes and my hands are frozen. I really should insulate my shop. I have an old palor wood stove that I love that is put there but it puts out enough heat to make you know itā€™s burning