Large Scale Central

Delton C16 RailPro Upgrade

Hi all, I have installed a RailPro module in my Aristo U25b, and my Bachmann Spectrum C19.

I am considering adding a LM-3S-G module to my Delton C16, I opened up the Loco shell last night and it is pretty tight in there, but I am not ready to quit yet.
Has anyone done this upgrade, and if so willing to share some tips tricks, and oh maybe a wiring diagram.
Thank you in advance,
Aflyer

I’m putting RailPro in an LGB #50 switcher, that includes the LM-3S-G, 14.8v x .8ah battery (due note here I can get the 14.8v 3.5ah battery in, but the smaller battery just fits better), and the speaker (not a small one either). I would think there is less room in my switcher then a Delton C-16 tender. I don’t know of what wiring is needed as most RailPro installs you just discard all the old factory wiring, install LED’s where you want lights, speaker, and that’s about it.

trainman

John,

Hi, and thank you for your response.

I agree it is pretty much a tear out and replace all existing wiring for my C-16. Hoping to find someone who has done this and can provide me some assistance.

The existing wiring is confusing at best.

I don’t have much experience with electronics, and prefer not to let any smoke out of my Locomotive and RailPro module.

Thank you again,

George

Aflyer said:

John,

Hi, and thank you for your response.

I agree it is pretty much a tear out and replace all existing wiring for my C-16. Hoping to find someone who has done this and can provide me some assistance.

The existing wiring is confusing at best.

I don’t have much experience with electronics, and prefer not to let any smoke out of my Locomotive and RailPro module.

Thank you again,

George

I would give Don Sweet at RCS of New England a call, he sells RailPro and advertises on this forum, plus installs are a big part of his business.

trainman

John,

Don has been been great, I got my RailPro stuff from him, and have talked about this Delton C-16 with him.

He has only worked on one of these and put the module in the tender with batter power and a speaker.

I want to control the lights, and smoke unit as well.

I have opened it up and have most of if figured out. But I am still hoping to find somebody that has a wiring diagram, or has done this upgrade.

Thank you,

George

I can’t help with wiring specific to the Delton C-16, but I spent a few hours yesterday experimenting on the bench with a LM-3S-G to determine how to power higher voltage lighting.

On the screw terminal end:

V+ is roughly the battery voltage less a small amount for circuit loss. I was using a 12V bench supply that puts out about 11.6V and was reading just over 11 volts on this pin.

COM is a non-switched negative return for all voltages.

+5V (both) is a constant 5 Volt positive voltage when the board is powered

On the 9 Pin connector, the Output lines (1-6) are all switched grounds to be used for lights or low-current applications.

For 5V Lamps or LEDS, feed the + side from the +5 screw terminal

For higher voltage Lamps or LEDs, feed the + side from the V+ screw terminal.

(for LEDs, be sure to use the appropriate current limiting resistor)

I ran these tests to determine if I could do two things on my current Bachmann 45 Ton center cab conversion. I want to be able to switch power to the cab light which is way too dim on 5 volts. I also want a switched 12-15V output on an MU cable at the front of the loco to power the LED headlight array on my wedge plow. I didn’t test the plow (yet), but the cab light works great powered from the V+ terminal.

I don’t know what the current limitations are on the voltage sources / outputs. To drive a smoke unit you may wish the add a relay to switch a direct battery connection to the smoke unit.

Aflyer said:

John,

Don has been been great, I got my RailPro stuff from him, and have talked about this Delton C-16 with him.

He has only worked on one of these and put the module in the tender with batter power and a speaker.

I want to control the lights, and smoke unit as well.

I have opened it up and have most of if figured out. But I am still hoping to find somebody that has a wiring diagram, or has done this upgrade.

Thank you,

George

Glade you have worked with Don, he is tops with RailPro and his knowledge of the product. I hope you can find the wiring diagram you are looking for, but since the RailPro module is all color coated and marked well for the correct wiring and where each will go I doubt anyone makes a diagram for reference in the future. The only thing I do is mark the light leads as the colors on the light leads on my LGB Moguls are not the same as RailPro colors are, or in many cases they are not. The RailPro module has its own connections for the smoke generator and the voltage is whatever your battery power is, mine is 14.8v, personally I don’t hookup the smoke in my engines… If changing your lights to LED’s that is pretty much a no brainer, I use 12v 3mm and 5mm LED’S with a 1K resistor, if I want the light not as bright I add another resistor. I can send you what LED’s I use sold on eBay if you want that information. LED’s are voltage direction sensitive, that is the + and - leads on the LED will only light on way, if it doesn’t light, switch the leads, this will not damage the LED if hookup backwards. Wish I could help you better, but all wiring is pretty much straight forward and there are no trick hookups. One last thing is, takeout all your Delton electronics and discard them, don’t, I say don’t try to use any part of them as those electronic and RailPro won’t mix. One other thing you will probably need is a plug between the engine and tender, I needed and 8 prong plug, two for the motor, and two for each light, plus whatever it takes to power the smoke unit, you may even need more plugs and prongs, just added thought to confuse the issue. Good Luck and keep all you wiring color coded, otherwise you can never find what goes where if need be.

trainman

Jon Radder,

Thank you for all of that information, you have inspired me to add a cab light as well.

Rail Pro does give us lots of options for 5 volt and full voltage accessories.

I have identified most of the existing wiring, and I am working on a diagram for the install.

One last wire set in the Loco, I am still trying to figure out.

George

John Lenheiser,

Agreed, Don is a great asset to the Hobby and to RailPro.

I am looking for an original wiring diagram just to understand it. There is still a black/white wire cable that I have not yet been able to identify. But I am headed back to the project as soon as I finish this response.

I have installed two of these L-M3S-G modules, and just checked the user manual I have. I can not see any separate hookup for a Smoke Generator, but maybe that is in a newer version.

Thank you for all of the tips, and I would like to know who you get your cables from, 8 pin. The 2 & 3 pin ones I have purchased work fine, but the wire in my opinion is too stiff.

George

I purchased a kit something like this, you can build your own with the number of plug size slots you need for the harness you need. Don’t buy a crimper as you can just crimp the wires with a small pair of needle noise plyers, it works just fine, plus I do solder the wires where they are crimped. Plus you will also need colored wire in the 20-22 size wire, they can also be purchased on Amazon in different colors and different lengths, I got the 5’ ones in 10 colors. If you want to know about which LED’s I use I can give you that info to, I also get them from Anazon.

trainmam

https://www.amazon.com/XLX-Housing-Terminal-Connector-Assortment/dp/B01M66K43K/ref=pd_di_sccai_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M66K43K&pd_rd_r=a9445f93-ce1e-4c47-a098-70acc00e5d51&pd_rd_w=7TS2v&pd_rd_wg=9wpRY&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=PTXRFYKK330SB1D2CQ23&psc=1&refRID=PTXRFYKK330SB1D2CQ23

John Lenheiser said:

I purchased a kit something like this, you can build your own with the number of plug size slots you need for the harness you need. Don’t buy a crimper as you can just crimp the wires with a small pair of needle noise plyers, it works just fine, plus I do solder the wires where they are crimped. Plus you will also need colored wire in the 20-22 size wire, they can also be purchased on Amazon in different colors and different lengths, I got the 5’ ones in 10 colors. If you want to know about which LED’s I use I can give you that info to, I also get them from Anazon.

trainmam

https://www.amazon.com/XLX-Housing-Terminal-Connector-Assortment/dp/B01M66K43K/ref=pd_di_sccai_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M66K43K&pd_rd_r=a9445f93-ce1e-4c47-a098-70acc00e5d51&pd_rd_w=7TS2v&pd_rd_wg=9wpRY&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=PTXRFYKK330SB1D2CQ23&psc=1&refRID=PTXRFYKK330SB1D2CQ23

John,

Thank you, that sure eliminates the problem of stiff wire on some of the premade ones I have bought.

Your info on LEDS would be great. It is always a crap shoot when you go to eBay or Amazon, not knowing what quality the LED’s are.

George

Update on Delton C-16 wiring, yesterday I removed the cover from the gear box to find that black/white wire set goes to a set of wheel brushes on the front set of drivers.

Wouldn’t a wiring diagram have made life so easy? I will try to create one as I work through the upgrade.

Now I am ready to begin installation of the RailPro LM-3S-G module. I will send another update when I have some progress.

Thank you all for your responses.

Aflyer

Unfortunately, wiring diagrams for most of the early designs were never published. To add to the confusion, there was no standard for wire colors, even two of the same run loco could have different color wires! Long ago, I can’t remember why, I completely traced and documented the wiring for a USA 44 Ton center cab. I’m sure I still have that diagram, even though the loco was sold off years ago.

Fortunately, these early run locos were pretty simple. Little to no electronics, just hook up wires. If you do get t all figured out, by all means publish it here and/or on the RailPro User Group forum so others may benefit in the future.

Update on my Delton C-16 upgrade, It runs has lights, sound and the smoke unit still works.

Many thanks to Don Sweet, rcsofne.com for providing the RailPro system module, as well as help and guidance along the way.

I followed Dons wiring diagram for my Bachmann C-19 for wiring the LMS module for this C-16

As with some projects, they go easier than anticipated, once you dive in and get started.

I have added a cab light, and a rear light to the locomotive as well a a speaker for the RailPro sound system.

I would love to post up some photos but I do not use any Photo hosting services after the Photo Bucket nonsense.

Here is a list of the original wiring in the Delton Loco, and I did remove the rectifier/regulator:

Blue wires from brass strips go to firebox light

Red black set from brass strips go to motor

Red black set from motor goes to rectifier/regulator

One Red black set from rectifier/regulator goes to headlight

Other red black set from rectifier/regulator goes to Smoke unit