Large Scale Central

DC to DCC Conversions

Gents,

We have a Bman 2-6-0 and an older 0-4-0 Porter that we would like to convert to DCC. We haven’t had any luck locating any instructions and were wondering if any one here could point us in the right direction. The addition of sound would also be a very nice touch. Thanks in advance for all of your time.

Mario,
the Bachmann mogul will need the suppressor caps removed from the motor terminals if converting to DCC. Basically, you need to separate the track pickupds from the motor supply leads. In so far as sound then how big a wallet do you have? You can pick up a dodgy MRC 5 amp decoder for around $70 with motor and sound capability and up to several hundred dollars for a dual decoder (motor and sound control). If just after motor control, the 4 amp NCE decoder is bulletproof at around $70, or many seem to go for a Digitrax decoder.

If after separate sound to the motor decoder then Phoenix is hard to beat.  The Phoenix PB8 is designed specifically for DCC and the PB11 may be used for both DCC and analogue operation if you wish to run your locomotive on an analogue track at some time in the future.  While a NMRA DCC standard requirement to provide facility for running a non-decoder locomotive on DCC track power,  many American manufacturers have deleted that facility from their systems.  Keep this in mind if you at some time may feel the need to run an analogue locomotive on your DCC track (not a desirable proposition as motor damage is possible).

My advice is to look up the Mylargescale forum and go to the DCC section of that forum. There are around twenty pages of postings that will give you an idea of your needs. I do not think any single person can guide you as each has his own biassed preference as to an operating system and preferred brandname decoders. Basically, you need to do a little web browsing.

Thanks Tim. We will check out MLS for some tips. Since we are electronically challenged, simple directions are what we need. Thanks again.

Mario,
I just noticed that you posted in the ‘On30’ forum. My basic info was more largescale related. MLS has good DCC information, but it also is largescale related. I suggest a dedicated ‘On30’ forum for your needs.

Check out Greg Elmassian’s site he is the unofficial king of DCC. He is on here and over there. He has a very informative website too. I’ll put a link in here for you. Regal

http://www.elmassian.com/

Thanks Jerry, I’ll check it out.

Mario, here are some good sites, I’ve delt with all of them, and they are all good guys, very knowledgeable.

O Gauge Railroading Magazine’s Narrow Gauge Forum

On30 Conspiracy

Free Rails On30 Forum

There are many others, just type in on30 in your search engine.

Good luck and cone back often