Large Scale Central

David M. 2021 Mik build - crude oil collection tank

OK All;

Here are my can and my “napkin” drawing. Let me explain that I had to use a paper plate for the drawing. After many decades of writing credit union checks (which have a carbon copy built in), I press too hard to ever write on a napkin. I hope that a paper plate is “close enough.”

My can is a 2lb 7oz coffee can. I hope to build a crude oil collection tank, such as would take the pumping from two or three “nodding donkey” oil pumps. The pumps are supposedly up to half a mile away from the railhead, where the tank sits. The tank is branded for Barns - Ewing Upland Oil. In this timeline, Cliff and JR stayed friends and partners. The can is about 6 3/4 inches tall, so that works out to about 13 1/2 feet high in 1:24. A straight ladder is sufficient for a tank this small. The tank will also have a storage structure for the fill hose and pump assembly. Can and “napkin” shown below.

Happy building, David Meashey

Like the paper plate…!!

And the can already has the horizontal weld lines built in (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif). I hope its already empty. I would hate to know you had to drink all that coffee in the time allotted (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Dan;

Don’t worry, it’s been empty for a loooooooooooooong time. I started collecting some old coffee cans (for eventual transformation into model fuel & water tanks) when I was part of the coffee club at a library automation software company. I left that company in 1999!

Best, David Meashey

Holy toledo Dave is going for the largest tin can award lol.

That’ll be a nice build. I’ll be interested in seeing how you make that ladder.

How are you painting the tank? Or. wait a minute, I have an idea…you could leave it as is and claim you sold the naming rights to Folger!

John;

It will be oversprayed with some form of silver/aluminum finish and light weathering. Probably my biggest expense will be the Tamiya aerosol primer.

Best, David Meashey

Well All;

Have most of my “stuff” together (still have to find a couple of things I know are in there somewhere). Most of the $30 will go for paint. Haven’t used the paint on hand for quite a while. Will start probably next week. Too many “honey dos” and chores, plus work at the hobby shop. An old PlayMobil windmill will donate the ladder, and a garden shed I built from a watch case will become the pump and hose storage shelter (below).

That is this week’s update.

Cheers, David Meashey

Well Folks;

I have just been handed a critical flaw in my building plans by Mother Nature. Usually we have some days of 60 degrees F or higher in Virginia during even January. It is looking like that may not happen this year. I don’t have a cellar or a garage, so spray painting may have to be postponed for suitable temperatures. I usually do my spraying on our patio, using the paint shelf on my old stepladder as my “spray booth.” I have an old Rubbermaid spice rack Lazy Susan to allow me to turn the model 360 degrees. I will continue the build, but the finish may have to wait for appropriate weather conditions (possibly in spring). I’m not really disappointed; it’s fun to be in a Mik challenge again.

Time will tell. ONWARD!!

Have fun, David Meashey

David Meashey said:

Well Folks;

… it’s fun to be in a Mik challenge again…

Have fun, David Meashey

As long as you strictly follow Rule #1, no worries, David. I hope everyone is following your example and having fun (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

David,

60??? Brrr…

Eric

And here i felt as if I moved to Arizona since its been in the 40s

Hey Folks;

Got another setback yesterday. Won’t keep me from working on my Mik 21, but it may keep me from posting here. My modem is about dead. We have underground utilities here, so I am pretty much locked in to using the existing phone lines. A new modem is on its way from Verizon. (Can’t get them anywhere else. Believe me, I tried for most of the morning!) I am not terribly discouraged, but between that and the painting issue I probably should disqualify myself. I WILL finish the tank and post progress and finished photos here as and when they happen. BUT if I become “speechless,” you know what has happened.

Keep on Trackin’, David Meashey

Hi again Folks;

Got the new modem installed and it is working (HURRAY!!). Got to thinking about the tank. It does not fit with my Middle Earth theme. Changing the sign to Erabor Mithril Slurry. Seems that Dain’s dwarf folk found a river of the stuff running under the Lonely Mountain. Its really good for plating things like tableware and blades. Blades will hold their edge for a very long time when plated with mithril slurry. (That’s my story & I’m sticking to it!)

Anyway, life keeps getting in the way with this project. I am officially disqualifying myself for the Feb finish date, but I WILL get it done. I will post progress here whenever I have any. Best wishes to all the others in the Mik 21 Challenge. Perhaps Mik 22 will work out for me.

Have Fun, David Meashey