Large Scale Central

Dave's Mik 2022 Build

Looks great!

Why is there nothing under the middle 2 bents? Based on my experience, my cedar bents rotted in contact with the ground - so I had to make fake concrete footings to rest the bents on. Worked well, but I wish I had done them first… :innocent:

Bruce and all,

The styrofoam blocks were just spacers I used to level up the tops.

When it gets installed I will pour concrete foundations for the bents to actually set on…The blue foam goes back into the scrap box…

Great. Makes a LOT of sense. I used PVC blocks for my foundations…just as long as the wood doesn’t touch the earth…

good progress Dave! Look forward to seeing last years build poised on it for beauty shots. Did you ever fix the RR to handle that great big car?

Nope… No way will the rubalattor go thru the tunnels…

Found some time to basically finish up the Mik 2022.

Put the safety boards on the top and rails around the water barrels spots.

That pretty well finishes it up…

Stay tuned

2 Likes

A super job Dave. Will you put some preservative on it or let it weather?

That is a fine looking trestle. It has a nice currvve to it :blush:

Well… I escaped form home… and now in sunny Tucson ( Catalina actually ) and the trestle is in Chilly Farmington… So It is what it is and since I’m not going back before “Times UP” thats All Folks!!!

I will weather it first and then give it a good coating of preservitive ( penafin ) before placing on the pike.

Came out great Dave. I need to copy that a few times over. Very nice bridge

1 Like

Trestle looks great Dave!

Beautiful work Dave! I’m also wondering what you’ll treat it with (if anything)?

I’ll give it a creative wash with a mix of leather dye and alcohol. I’ll let that “Cure” and then when it gets mounted on the pike, I’ll hit it with penifin(sp?) wood finish.

wow.

I don’t even want to think about all the ways I’d have screwed up building that (starting with gluing my fingers together)

1 Like

Dear Dave, I don’t believe I’ve seen your final MIK build photos on your final MIK build photo thread… :grin: :innocent: :laughing:

Coming soon…I wanted to let every one else get there’s posted…

Dave just looked at the glamor shots on the voting thread. Nice trestle. I need a few on mine and this is an inspiration

Thanks for the gorgeous trestle shots Dave, wonderful work!!

I love this shot of the trestle. The 1:1 power lines look like they are part of the model.