Large Scale Central

Dave's 2024 Mik Challenge

I thought that too when I saw the metal that was being recycled. A cog made from the finest kettles and pans. Still mesmerising to watch.

Got a bit of Miking done today…

I gave the main building two coats of clear poly, really brought out the rich color of the Cedar.

ANd I got a light gray Alcohol wash on the deck itself… All is drying…

Pics tomorrow…

Stay tuned

Well I promised the new pics… But you really can’t tell the subtle difference !

The Cedar did turn darker with the poly coating.

The most noticeable difference on the deck were in the lighter boards. I’m debating to give them another coat…

I’m casting the barn doors today…

Stay tuned…

Got out the casting stuff, dusted off the Barn Door mold, and mixed a couple of drops of brown coloring in and poured…

Waited 25 min for it to set up and…

Rinsed and repeated for the second one… Cleaned up the edge flash… and they fit…

I’ve already tasked the artist wife to be the doors painter. Debate is what colors… Hummmm…

Roof tomorrow…
Stay tuned.

1 Like

Looks great. Makes me want to rip mine off and start over but not gonna happen.

Will you be using the remainder of the budget thanking her with dinner and flowers?

I’m asking for a friend who finished early and can’t get to his stove. :grimacing:

1 Like

Bill brings up a yet unaddressed issue. . .slave labor. Team Mueller gets a pass because family time is quality time. But forcing the wife to paint so you can make the deadline?

I’m just jealous. Only help I get from the wife is running for paper towels and that’s only because she doesn’t like it when I bleed on her floor.

1 Like

No, no.
I think it was a typo.
I’m already giving him points for the romantic gesture.
This will give Dave the edge in the competition, even though I have no idea how the scoring system works, and I’m making this up as I go along…

And who knows???

This may be the best use of pastels on any Mik in the history of Mik-mas!
IMG_7796

IMG_7795

In Dave’s defense and Devon’s question of slave labor, family fits under the “already on hand” rule. Right? :innocent: :upside_down_face: :sunglasses:

I concede good point :rofl:

After 51 years… I guess You can say that I had her around before Jan 1.

Dave, what can I say. As expected you have turned out another great project. That deck is gorgeous.

Got some Mik time in today… Got the roof cut from the sheet, found the best of the run over road damage, and used that piece.

Used Jon R’s advice and grooved the underside almost all the way thru.

Then bent it over the edge of the Table Saw… Bent easily. SO the whole roof is a seamless one piece alum. piece. Should stay watertight.

One of the drawbacks I have found using the alum. clad board, its only 1/8 inch thick, and nailing 1/8" boards on with 3/8 in nails, Leaves a whole bunch of sharp pokie things to assist in the annual Mik blood letting.

Had to pull the very top ones out for clearance to mount the roof.

I cleaned up the tire marks off of the roof board, and scrapped some kind of adhesive off too.

Got it screwed down… and the facia attached all around…

Tomorrow… Taylor Tin Time…
Stay tuned.

2 Likes

That looks fantastic Dave. Very nice building.

Got the facias painted and the soffits… Time to get the Taylor Tin E6000ed on.

Got the one side done and waiting on the glue to set,

Tomorrow… the other side of the roof…And the wife promised to have the doors painted too.

Stay tuned

1 Like

May we have a pic of the Taylor tin in profile?

Finished off the first side last night, And weighted down the tin.

Trimed the ridge line and got the first course laid down on the other side and let the E6000 set up.

Got the second course layed in and the ridge line trimmed up too.

Tomorrow The ridge cap to top it all off. The wife is painting up the barn doors as I type.

That leaves me two days to get the little details put on.
Stay tuned.

1 Like

Got the ridge cap on… and the doors painted.

Started on the Details. Smoke Jack, and an Electrical service panel.

Still having trouble with the service door painting, and today I’ll make some signage up.

Last day details push… Still got about 15 hours…

Stay tuned…

1 Like

-------> DONE <-------

With 3hours and 30 min. to spare… Waiting for some touch up paint to dry before setting all the pieces together.

[ notice the 'F" theme Mr. Devon]

Hung up all the signs and the entry door.

And got the Electric Co. to hang the meter box too.

Time to stage it, and hope for some sun for the glamor shots.

Stay tuned.

2 Likes

I’m really impressed you double tapped each deck and siding, just like real life!