Large Scale Central

Dave's 2024 Mik Challenge

The Taylor Tin and Iron Works facility is amazing looking! :star_struck:

Finally made some time today and cut out my 1:1 size drawings, and traced them onto the 3mm Maxmetal board…

Used my hand held battery powered skill saw and cut the pieces out.

Got them taped together for fit.

Just stuck it down on a temp base to hold it in place, and layer out the basic doors placement.

Front ( track side )

And the back side.

No the doors won’t be at ground level, I’ll use cut stones on the bottom for foundation work up to the loading deck height.

I played around with my nailers on a piece of the scrap and a chunk of wood. I first shot 18 gage nails, and they drove easily thru the Maxmetal and held the wood really well… Next I grabbed the pin nailer, and it too drove right thru both sheets of the aluminum and the core, held well, I was surprised, I was expecting the pins to bend in the process. Next I grabbed my 1/2" crown Stapler, and drove 1/4" staples with ease and no issues, and likewise 5/8" ones. held really solid into the wood.

Next up I’ll cut some 3/4" square wood to use as corner cleats, and staple the thing together…

Stay tuned.

That’s coming around nicely

It got up to a balmy 45 out today, so I busted up a pallet for some wood to make the corner braces, should get it nailed up together tomorrow.

Also dug out a old re-cycled cedar fence picket for the deck, Got some stuff cut up…

Stay tuned…

1 Like

We actually exceeded 32 for a few hours. We finally broke the frigid bitter cold and are having normal winter now.

Well… Another day with ZERO Mik work… Dammm work keeps at me… Last week I took on a job to make a sign for a new housing development, didn’t need to deliver them (2) till first of next week… But the ribbon cutting was moved up by a week, Developer pleaded with me to get one done and delivered Tomorrow… So in the name of the almighty $$$ and to keeping the lights on… I spent part of yesterday and most of today… Making this… ( Jon R) will appreciate the work involved)

BTW it’s 4ft x 8ft… Part of the morning tomorrow, and most of the rest of the week will be MIK TIME…!!!

1 Like

I did get a wee bit of Miking done yesterday…

I actually got the 4 sides attached together… I used my 1/2" crown stapler with 5/8’ long staples and aligned the 5/8" sq. strips inside the corners. Bam bam bam.

Nothing to exciting, but progress… WOW is this thing rigid! Stout…
All the staples will be covered over with tin on the top and stones on the bottom.

Stay tuned

Progress is good with 2 weekends having already passed. :grimacing:

After getting roped into actually Hanging the new development signs, I finally got a chance to do some real Miking…

I got the rear loading dock bumper stuck on, and then actually got to play mason with the world renown Taylor Cut stones, for the foundation.

And around the corner to the right side wall foundation…

And even got the world famous corner stone laid up…
This wall will have the ramp running down from the deck to the ground…

I’ll add a few stoned around the corner for the right side foundation, But ti to will be mostly covered with the loading dock on the end.

Happy with todays progress… Time to fire up Taylor Tin works for some custom panels.

Stay tuned,

2 Likes

Where is Mod Rooster when you need him…

Dave said “stoned” and “Time to fire up”

Dang it Dave. I was looking at my warehouse door with much admiration. Then I see yours. I need to do some work on mine. That is a very sex door.

How are you liking that metal materiel?

[quote=“Dave_Taylor, post:29, topic:83812”]
I’ll add a few stoned around the corner
well there are a few here that their avatar is something with booze, so you have plenty to pick from to be around the corner!

Well the truth is… that is the master that I made the mold from for my blacksmith shop.

It does look good, but I’ll save it for the mold… and I’ll cast a couple more for the warehouse !

Master or not, that is one good looking set of doors, Dave. Is the frame and hinges part of the casting or are they added to the cast doors? I seem to remember seeing those stones somewhere before :grinning:

Dan they were the 2016? Challenge where Dave made a bag full for everyone that entered and I actually sent some to another contestant to use

Well… Sad News in Taylor town… Major mechanical issues at the Taylor Tin Works… Was notified yesterday that they will be unable to supply the tin for this years build… Lucky for me, I have enough for the roof , but not for the walls…

So onto plan “C or is it D by now”… An the 3 options for the freight shed would be… Stone it all up ( I have the stones ) or Lap Siding ( I would have to cut up ) or Board & Batten… I have plenty of stone buildings already, And I really don’t want to cut and place all the little things for lap siding on the metal… So i’m going to board and batten… And away we go…

My way of doing the B&B is to fake the Battens… In the past I’ve had failure of the little tiny applied battens after a couple of seasons, so I apply a board, and then the batten is a separate board of the right width and it stands proud of the boards. The thicker battens seem to be staying in better shape.

So I had to cut up that old re-claimed Cedar fence picket, and it’s sister too for the B&B, and I figured out what I needed for the Dock and decking, Spent most of today cutting and building the loading dock and some B&Bing…

The dock wraps around the building…

Lots of little pieces and angular cuts… But the base is done and tomorrow I’ll start decking it.

And still to do will be the ramp on the other end…
I feel like I’ve caught up and should be done ahead of schedule…

Stay tuned…

2 Likes

looking great Dave. sorry to here about Taylor Tin having manufacturing issues. Hope they get the supply problem fixed soon.

The platform looks great. It is almost a shame to plank over it.
I like you approach to the board and batten style. In the past I have used a dado blade to cut away for the “boards” and leave the height for the “battens” but that takes a lot of planning and effort on a bigger build. I have also used craft sticks for battens. I glue the back with tightbond3 and pin nail them on then using a paint brush I run the glue at every edge. It seals it and it has held up in my climate but I don’t about your hot desert. Your way of doing it is much better and it will last. Very clever.

The Ladies Scrapbook Conglomerate may be the cause for Taylor Tin not being able to get the necessary parts. Herself was quite excited yesterday day and said the LSC (Oh Bob, the irony), had tooled up with Fiskars Inc and purchased their last crimper and shipped it to Australia.

The LSC apparently want to become a roofing supplier to the town of Susanville and to DSP&P operations in the area and hope in the future export cladding made from recycled Pepsi cans to Amtrak and American Airlines.

I only ask, only after the Mik, whether any of the historical photographic documents from your 2016 build survived and are recoverable, as I was unable to show Herself what the LSC had to compete with, on the Taylor Tinworks Challenge LSC webpage .

Yup I think that I can get them re-posted…BTW: Taylor Tin… is not Fiskers crimped.

I actually built a roller press, and the crimps are correct in number per foot and depth.

I broke the drive gears between the two driving rollers… Can be fixed, just don’t have time with Mik to do the machining…

1 Like