Large Scale Central

Dave's 2023 Mik Challenge

Well I got the 4th wall all built…

onto assembly and adding the extra stuff…

Stay tunes…

I thought the 4th wall was the camera…. Oh that’s just for tv shows, good thing, all the walls are looking very good

I got some major work done today… its coming together nicely.

I got all the pieces assembled in the right places. Got the roof on and the facias all nailed up.

Also got the balcony up, but not yet the posts to hold everything up, and the stair landing started.

Top front:

Front Ground level

3/4 left rear

3/4 Right rear

3/4 front ground level

Time to call it a night…

UP next… Stairs… and then start to think of the right roofing stuff, I’m leaning to cedar Shingles, but don’t want to start slabing them off…

Stay tuned…

1 Like

Now that would almost be a fun project for a modern layout. To build a prop set of an old building.

Geez Dave. It went from a pile of sticks to a building in a day. Very nice looking building.

Down to the Nitty Gritty, And I know for a fact that I will have a DNF for the year… But…

Decided that rather then sloock a roof on the Dr’s Office I’d do it right and put Shake Shingles and keep it period. Most of my other buildings have Taylor Tin, and this 1880’s needed the shakes…

So I spent most of the morning on the lathe, and the milling machine to make me an adaptor for cleaving off cedar shingles using my hand grommeting machine from the studio.
LUCKY ME… it works!!!

So I now have several hundred cleaved and ready to apply…

But no way will I make it all done in time…

Nifty cutter Dave !! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh I cry foul!!!. After splitting a big bag with an exacto knife. . . Ok no foul but rather an ingenious idea.

Gives me an idea for chucking that exacto knife in my drill press.

That is a neat idea for making shingles. I wonder if I could setup something like that on my drill press?

Todd,

Had the same idea. I now use one of the large exacto knifes with a squared (flat) blade to split shingles. I think that knife could be chucked into the drill press. Was already thinking of a a jig that will give a stop do all you have to do is press the stock against the stop and pull the handle, rinse and repeat.

I think Dave is really onto something here.

I think after the challenge I am going to give this a try. I have a need for a bunch of split scalloped ceder shakes.

Got the shake shingles on… whawww Whooo!! Now I remember why I like using Taylor tin… Shingles are a PITA!! But they look good and sets the 1880’s time period.

And the other side…

Tomorrow I’ll use the extra time to at least place the windows in place and the doors, so the glamor shots look at least respectable . No Time for paint and details… oh well…

1 Like

Looks great Dave! Even without paint!

I feel ya Dave. I have most of one side done and another to go. Yes PITA. But you have to admit it sure looks good.

Some more pics from the Glamor shots…!

[MIK 2023 -49|666x500(upload://kDnEjNYasMJnqtwBSlidlb1jLb6.jpeg)

The pics are only shot on the sunny side of the pike… it’s not where it will end up.

3 Likes

Very nice Dave. Will this be a bright shiny new building or an old weathered building.

What a good looking building. The stairs look great and you even angled the balusters on the balcony. Will you be adding signage?

Really nice Dave. There is nothing like stick built wood :smiley:

Beautiful building Dave. I can just visualize a nice weather beaten finish on that.

@JON At this point, I’m not sure what finish I’ll put on it. I’ve been considering about the base, and the wooden sidewalk out front.

@Todd Yup I’ll do up the signs on my Dye Sublimiation Al. sheet. Holds up really well outside.

Need to cast a couple more windows too. Details also… door knobs, and etc.