Large Scale Central

Damn it I'm switching

Devon Sinsley said:

One of the biggest reasons to go On30 is because that’s what my buddy in the club is running

Read this in your mother’s voice! “Oh and if your buddy we’re to jump off a cliff/tall building/Grand Canyon you would to???” Sounds like an interesting idea

And, as someone who has not a lot of spare time SQUIRREL I just cannot understand why you would think about starting a SQUIRREL entire new endeavor when there is lots SQUIRREL to do with you outdoor layout, and what happened to the indoor you built the snow shed for?

David Maynard said:

You need binders on them chains.

they will. I found a source for them. The ones I was finding were the ratcheting type but finally found some of the right type so binders will be included.

Pete Lassen said:

And, as someone who has not a lot of spare time SQUIRREL I just cannot understand why you would think about starting a SQUIRREL entire new endeavor when there is lots SQUIRREL to do with you outdoor layout, and what happened to the indoor you built the snow shed for?

lol,

First I have jumped off plenty of cliffs because my friends were doing it. What’s your point?

And that nice snow shed, nice engine house, nice mine hoist that were all built for the indoor are either going out doors or will be recycled for the indoor. The trees and bushes will be easy to recycle. The mine hoist will fit nicely outside. The snowshed, well I see no real way to use it since it is built on a very sharp corner. The engine house will likely become like a little shop of some sort.

It is kinda sad. I was really enjoying the 1:24 indoor idea but It had a lot of compromise (which was fine) and would limit how much I could do with the space. Going to On30 (and a small chunk of On18) will give me a lot more of an empire with opportunity to do some operations. I pondered it for awhile but I really think I will be happy going On30.

Devon, could you add a mine to the outdoor and use the hoist on and a trolley line from the mine to the ore chute and use the snow shed on the trolley line. The trolley would use smaller (1:24 or smaller) equipment and be elevated above the current layout. Just brain storming (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

David Maynard said:

they will. I found a source for them. The ones I was finding were the ratcheting type but finally found some of the right type so binders will be included.

They are called snap binders. I have some experience with them… (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

I think I still might have a 1:1 version of them lurking in the recesses of my garage.

Yeah , David . I have lots of fun with them! Wish I had the $$$ to replace them with ratchets , but I just don’t use them enough to warrant the expense. After you mold some send me some Devon!

Dan Hilyer said:

Devon, could you add a mine to the outdoor and use the hoist on and a trolley line from the mine to the ore chute and use the snow shed on the trolley line. The trolley would use smaller (1:24 or smaller) equipment and be elevated above the current layout. Just brain storming (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Damn fine idea. The area where my mine is going is a blank slate. Well less than a blank slate. Its a turn out off the mainline. I have not extended any track or even have a real location for it. So Making it in mind with a mining tram is a great idea and then recycle the snow shed on that. Perfect idea.

David Maynard said:

Devon Sinsley said:

David Maynard said:

They are called snap binders. I have some experience with them… (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

I think I still might have a 1:1 version of them lurking in the recesses of my garage.

Lol, we just call them chain binders. Them fancy ratcheting type are to high falutin’ for my crowd so we just use good old chain binders. I finally gave all min to my dad. I had four or five of them. He has a tractor that he ties down to his car trailer so he has a use for them. They will smash the shit out of a finger.

I was able to get some from Don Mills Models on EBAY I think I bought enough for six cars (12 binders). They are a pretty nice white metal casting from the looks of it.

Pete Lassen said:

Yeah , David . I have lots of fun with them! Wish I had the $$$ to replace them with ratchets , but I just don’t use them enough to warrant the expense. After you mold some send me some Devon!

The ones I am getting are in O scale. I doubt I will mold them, for the price and the amount I will need I’ll just buy them. I did make some in large scale awhile back. I think I have since lost them. But they were a bit tedious to make but came out nice and were designed more like an 1800’s version. And since that’s the era I model I will continue to fabricate what I need. So I don’t think I will be casting them either. Your batting a thousand. I believe Ozark has some.

Devon Sinsley said:

David Maynard said:

Devon Sinsley said:

David Maynard said:

Lol, we just call them chain binders. Them fancy ratcheting type are to high falutin’ for my crowd so we just use good old chain binders. I finally gave all min to my dad. I had four or five of them. He has a tractor that he ties down to his car trailer so he has a use for them. They will smash the **** out of a finger.

I was able to get some from Don Mills Models on EBAY I think I bought enough for six cars (12 binders). They are a pretty nice white metal casting from the looks of it.

Why the heck is your finger anywhere near them things when you snap them down? I used an extender pipe on mine, and my fingers were well away from them when I snapped them down, or unsnapped them.

Pete, I operated company equipment, so I used what the company supplied. Many of the covered wagons had the ratchet type, but I usually didn’t hook under a covered wagon.

David Maynard said:

Why the heck is your finger anywhere near them things when you snap them down?

No one accused me of being smart. I usually use a pipe. But I have gotten my finger in there. Damn lucky I didn’t break it.

Well been messing around some more with this On30 stuff. I was looking and Shapeways has quite a selection of On30 stuff. One guy in particular has some short running stock. And I like the looks of the smaller stuff. So I have decided all my cars will be round that 20 scale feet mark. The log car is 22’ and I started this hopper which is 20 fee

I added some bolts to the log car and I really like how its looking. Having to wait for my orders to come in for trucks and detail parts. I plan to have maybe six of these cars. 3 loaded and three empty. I am going to make 6 hoppers with removable loads.

Nice start on the hopper car, Devon.

Nice job! That is similar to my plan, though I only have 4 hoppers. Short cars work well on a length challenged railroad. It is those details that make it all seem realish eh?

Jim Rowson said:

Nice job! That is similar to my plan, though I only have 4 hoppers. Short cars work well on a length challenged railroad. It is those details that make it all seem realish eh?

I don’t plan on getting over the top crazy with detail parts but since this is indoors, a little more protected, and closer to eye level, I am going to add some detail to them. But I plan on operating and that will mean handling cars so a lot of fine fiddly details just isn’t gonna happen. The detail will come in the scenery and buildings and other static stuff.

At that size you can paint the details on …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Aaaw that’s cute …does it come with a pull string ?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Rooster ’ said:

Aaaw that’s cute …does it come with a pull string ?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

That’s how it feels, like a little toy train.

Starting on painting and weathering. Also progress on the mill. Thanks to a very large donation from George Bush I have some corrugated sign materiel for the skeleton. The mill is being build from a set of plans from Scale Model Plans. Nice plans, you get blueprints to make it like the real thing, templates you can cut out and trace, or printable files for card stock.