Large Scale Central

D&RGW M-67 in 1:29 scale

Hi guys,
This is kind of a spinoff from Bob’s “Finish what you started!” thread back in February. Through a long, strange convoluted turn of events, I first began this project in the winter of 2010. This winter I have resolved to finish it.

At the moment I am working on its tender - below is my “control” pic of the prototype:

I managed to find an Aristo mallet tender sometime in the last couple of years, lettered for the Grande. I added the correct number with dry transfers. I also acquired some Aristo six wheel tender trucks. The frame needed considerable whacking (that’s a technical term :wink: ) to allow the tender to ride low enough for prototypical height. Here you can see the removal of the front bolster:

The Aristo trucks needed modification as well. The truck on the left has had its rounded humps over its middle wheels removed with a razor saw; the truck on the right is unscathed. Sharp-eyed modelers will notice that the prototype had friction bearings, while the Artisto trucks have roller bearings. Oh well, they’re what’s available:

More on that later!

Cheers,
Matt Hutson
Nathrop, CO

This afternoon it occurred to me that I should back this build log up a bit to give a more complete picture. When I began this project, I bought a copy of the original ALCO erecting card for the first ten Grande M-67’s from the DeGolyer Library at SMU. This gives me accurate dimensions for the locomotive part of the project:

My other bit of reference material is the Grande’s folio sheet for their first ten M-67’s. This is how I knew that the tender needed to be lowered:

The tender has now been lowered about 14 scale inches, which makes the bottom of the tank four scale feet from the top of rail:

Cheers,
Matt

Hi guys,
Okay, time for an update. I have been successfully procrastinating, working, and then there was Thanksgiving…all good excuses!

I removed all of the ladder and railing stuff from the rear of the tender. This of course will result in painting (again) and lettering (again), but I think it will be worth it to be more accurate:

I’ve installed a Kadee New Generation 906 coupler on the tender, along with an air brake hose and glad hand from Burl Rice:

Rerailer hangers from Trackside Details have been installed on each side and are now adorned with rerailers from Precision Scale:

An Airwire G4X decoder has been added, along with an old Phoenix P5 sound system my son donated for this project. A Visaton FRS 8 speaker is now installed. Connectors for the motor and the headlight and class lights were added, all from Miniatronics. The headlight, backup light, class lights and marker lights have also been added:

Cheers,
Matt

1 Like

Nice. Didn’t know Burl had those brake parts. They look great.

Is it really 1:29th or is it just cool? Cause I’m a firm believer of judge thee not unless ye be judged!
I have been judged however sometimes my judge was good but other times not so much. Are you planning on beating it up in your wonderful western mountainous snow shots or will it be shelf queen?

Thanks Jon, Burl sells some great stuff. Ever seen his Type E couplers?
http://burlrice.com/

Yes Rooster, it will be operated regularly. It will not be in snowplowing service (the mallet is not allowed to do that either), but it will definitely be out moving freight in the snow this winter.

Cheers,
Matt

Okay guys, here’s my progress for the weekend.
The Aristo ladder was horrid and on the wrong side, so I made a new one. For the ladder I used 1/32" flat brass bar and .032 brass rod, all resistance soldered together. The ladder is held on with HO scale track nails. The new horizontal bar is made from 1/16" round brass tube, also attached with HO scale track nails.

Dry transfer lettering was re-applied, but the tender capacity lettering did not adhere - will fix later. The marker light brackets are from Precision Scale; the marker lights are from my son’s Shapeways shop. The backup light is 3D printed from Shapeways.

Next I’ll add lenses and bulbs to the lights. Still have to build a doghouse for the brakeman and add coal extension boards.

Cheers,
Matt