Large Scale Central

CVSRy HEP (trail) car gets RailPro upgrade

Spent the day today ripping out the old electronics and installing a RailPro LMS-3-G module. It runs and sounds great! Still pictures soon, but while you wait, here are a few spy videos to show off the sound…

RailPro in C.V.S.Ry. M-10 Spy Video #1 from Jon Radder on Vimeo.

RailPro in C.V.S.Ry. M-10 Spy Video #2 from Jon Radder on Vimeo.

I only took two pictures. A before with Rail Boss Plus Hobby and a newer Phoenix board and good cable management, but no battery…

And after with only the RailPro module and the battery. No cable management happeningg yet…

The sound in the video doesn’t do it justice. The low-end is awesome! This system shines with a big speaker!

I should explain why there is a rat’s nest of wire for a simple trail car. 1st up, Bi-Color LEDs at both ends to quickly indicate direction of travel since the lights on the loco don’t light when stopped. This requires a multi-conductor cable from front to rear and tied to the lighting output of RailPro. Next, a multi-speaker set up that supports a front mounted speaker in the loco plus the on-board Mini 3.5 plus a front mounted speaker in a second loco if MUed. That requires a 3 conductor cable front-to-back (support for push-me/pull you configuration) that is tied to the RailPro speaker outputs and a selector switch. Finally, also in support of push-me/pull you configuration, the motor output of RailPro has plugs on both ends.

I’ve been doing some playing around with RailPro consisting; two C-19’s leading a long train with the 45 ton diesel as a mid-train helper. I think this is going to be very cool to get a long train up the hill, then break it up into sections to get around the short-tailed wye. RailPro makes it VERY easy to set up a consist then break it up and re-make as needed. The loco-to-loco communication that does automatic perfect speed matching while consisted is nothing short of awesome.

Weather looks to be good for an outdoor excursion tomorrow, my day off. I hope the track isn’t too messed up.

Jon Radder said:

I’ve been doing some playing around with RailPro consisting; two C-19’s leading a long train with the 45 ton diesel as a mid-train helper. I think this is going to be very cool to get a long train up the hill, then break it up into sections to get around the short-tailed wye. RailPro makes it VERY easy to set up a consist then break it up and re-make as needed. The loco-to-loco communication that does automatic perfect speed matching while consisted is nothing short of awesome.

Weather looks to be good for an outdoor excursion tomorrow, my day off. I hope the track isn’t too messed up.

Which RailPro sounds did you use, it sounds like either an Alco, or a GE sound.

trainman

That’s the “Vintage GE” - GE7FDL-16 Early UTL with a Nathan horn and the CN Bronze Bell. I don’t care that they aren’t right for the 45 Ton, they sound “wicked awesome”.

JON RADDER said: GE7FDL-16 and has been reported to the moderator!

I have been so impressed with the fully on-board RailPro & Battery install in my M-11 rebuild (thread here) that I decided to re-purpose/reconfigure Shorty and mimic my M-11 install in M-10. I’ll start a new thread for M-10 once that gets further along.

Shorty will retain it’s capability as an HEP car aka R/C trail car, but will function primarily as a big bass sound car for either M-10, M-11 or both. To accomplish this I need to bore another hole in the floor and fit in a second Minimus 3.5 speaker firing down through the frame. The current Speaker Mode switch will be retained, but it’s function will now change the sound source for the two speakers to either the internal RailPro LM, wired in parallel for 4 ohms, or be feed separately from a locomotive connected to either end. Each locomotive also has a speaker mode switch to allow adding a trail car speaker with a different wiring method.

Step 1 is disassembly so I can drop the frame and drill the floor for a second speaker. I’ll take some pictures when there is something to show.