Large Scale Central

Custom Wye

Been working on a wye to finish up the switches in my little mining town under construction. The video is how I made it operable but still waiting on the rc tubing for remote operation.

YouTube Video

I put mine in the center…

That’s what is known as an “over-center” spring. Often produced using a safety pin in the smaller scales indoors.

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/9065/overthrow-springs?page=1

In Large Scale, just use a much larger safety pin…they come in a multitude of sizes. By putting the spring in the centre, between the rails, you don’t require the long ties shown in that good picture above.

Fred Mills

Fred Mills. said:

In Large Scale, just use a much larger safety pin…they come in a multitude of sizes. By putting the spring in the centre, between the rails, you don’t require the long ties shown in that good picture above.

Fred Mills

Thanks Fred!

I still hope to add a target to indicate the turnout direction from a distance. Not sure how to do that yet.

Neil

John Caughey said:

I put mine in the center…

As set above it’s a slide by spring, moving it to the upper used hole (rust stain) and it becomes a flop over switch

I use spring steel because unlike Safety Pins, mine rust darker…

As for a signal, that’s risky as I’ve found there’s not much strength for more than flipping the points.

The balance between pony trucks and the spring is my concern to prevent derailments.

I’d go with electronic sensors, were I capable… other wise I can see enough to tell.