Large Scale Central

Curses, Foiled Again!

Well, I wanted to show the product I discovered that works really well for the roadbed. “Paver Base” by Quickcrete. I went to Lowes which is where we thought we bought it, and I bought some other paver base. It had larger stones in it, so I asked the kid if they changed brands. Oh, no. Well, I didn’t realize what I had bought before until I got home to the old half bag.

Here’s a closeup to show the nice small size and the angular fines that interlock.

![](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/rrrr4/Works In Progress/08111302.JPG)

When I pour it out of the wet bag, it’s dark, then it dries light grey, and I brush out the center of the track. Rain darkens it some so it is not almost white.

![](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/rrrr4/Works In Progress/08041302.JPG)

Here is some progress. I spent the weekend wiring and roadbedding.

![](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/rrrr4/Works In Progress/08041301.JPG)

Now I’m off on a quest to find “Quickcrete Paver Base”. Curses, foiled again.

Looks right to me. So what’s the problem?

Most of that stuff is just decomposed granite or screenings used by landscapers under paving stones. Unless it has some special “bonding” compound in it. I buy it by the 90# bag for $5. I’ve seen it in Landscape supply places in red, grey, and black, sometimes white. For some reason I’ve never seen Lowe’s or Home Depot carry it, though they do sell the paving blocks and polymeric sand.

I first came across the stuff about 30 years ago when I ran conduit crews for the phone company. It was used to back fill around the conduit because it was so small and it would settle in around it. Plus it acted as a warning barrier if later on more digging occurred there.

My local HD changed brands 3-4 years ago. I used to get nice stuff like you found, but the newer stuff not so nice. I discovered the local stone quarry had what they call Stone Sand which is about 1/8 down to dust. Nice grey color; settles down well with watering. I get a trailer load (about 900 lbs.) every few years for under $20.

Yep, Jon has the right idea. Go to your local quarry. It will be much cheaper. Every quarry calls it a little different. Jon’s called it Stone Sand. We called it -4 fines. Ask the office for a product that is around a #4 sieve and smaller.

Yep… (lime)stone dust or crusher fines from a local landscape or quarry company will set you right Lou

I have been using paver base since the start, Lowes changed brands a couple years agol to Quickcrete, it serves the purpose but washes alittle in heavy rain and takes alot to pack it tight but is rock hard when it rains.

I use the same stuff although I get it from my local patio/mason dealer. Home Depot or Lowes does not sell it by me. Its all Limestone (left over stuff from the quarries). I love, it holds the track down well, drains well, and does not wash away very easily. At first it looks like all sand but once you put it down and wet it those little rocks show and the dust part settles in.

I did get a reply from Quickrete. They told me that my local Lowes could order it from them for me.

To be continued: I ain’t give up yet! But I don’t want a couple of pallets either!

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

We went to Moe’s Southwest for dinner, down from the new Hobby Lobby, and stopped at the local Lowes. They had a partial pallet, so I stocked up. Looks like when they run out, that’s it!

Shazam!

Do yourself a favor and check out the local landscape supply and/or stone quarry. Most of them will sell to you in 5 gallon buckets if you bring your own to fill. I fill a small trailer every other year, but you don’t need to buy that much at once. You’ll pay about $20 per ton Vs. about $20 per hundred for bagged goods.

Thanks, Jon. I’ll give that a try.

BTW, in the second picture from the top, on the right side you see a short beam supporting the stairs. That’s how high the river came up in Sandy! During Irene I had about 4 inches covering the tracks. Originally built so water did not come up to the bottom of the block wall, you can get an idea of the magnitude of these two storms!

The crusher chips our landscaping guys carry are a bit coarse, I’ll get some Quikcrete Paver Base today at HD.

BTW I use a mix of chicken grit for ballast, when the chickens come home to roost they’ll be all set.

PS people keep telling/promising me that they will.

:wink: :slight_smile: