Large Scale Central

Crusher fines

Hi, I’m new to the hobby. I live in So. Calif. Where would I begin to look for crusher fines as described in several beginning books? Thx

More than likely at a place that sells bark, rock, top soil, etc.
Then I riddle mine thru a 1/4 inch riddle made up of screen.
Any crushed 1/4 or 3/8 minus rock will do.
I happen to get basalt (same thing the real RR use up here.) It’s a dark gray to black.
But you can use granite or whatever.

John,
You took Doug’s cherry!

Welcome Doug
You wanna talk rock …you need to talk to Ray
:wink:

Doug, a bulk aggregate plant that sells sand, stone and gravel would be a place to look. The aggregate you are looking for is 1/4 limestone down to power. Around here is called 1/4 (quarter) down. You can also purchase this limestone at asphalt paving companies like APAC.

Welcome to LSC Doug :smiley:

Here in Southern New England the stuff under 1/4 inch is called Stone Sand. There are two other versions with larger stones called 3/4 Process and 1 Inch Process that I use for embankments and fills.

I used to buy a similar product at Home Depot called paver sand. It was made by Old Castle under the Mr. Granite Step 1 and Step 2 brands. I think that is a very regional product. Home depot stopped carrying it here two years ago. Now I go to a stone plant to and buy Stone Sand. I get a half a ton for about the same price as I was paying home depot for two 50 pound bags.

Doug,

This is very regional and changes through out the country as does the ballast on the big railroads. Many years ago, I tried to buy the exact same thing Jon was using. Came home with two bags of beach sand. What sells in one place is different in another. Around here we use - ag lime, slag sand and chicken grit.

Here in Eastern PA we can get crusher fines at most places that sell hardscaping supplies , pavers, retaining walls, etc. Where I get mine sells mulch, topsoil, stone, pavers, fences, and can get it either in bulk or in 80 lb. Bags. Most larger garden centers may carry it too.

It falls under many names: screenings, crusher fines, 1/4 minus.

Doug,
Forgot to add in the e-mail you sent me exactally what Ken stated above
Eastern PA is loaded with limestone and I personally use 1/4 minus.
Once again welcome to the boards
:wink:

Doug, I forgot to mention that if you can find a bulk aggregate facility, you will save tons of bucks by purchasing your limestone there. I have purchased several tons of limestone from a bulk facility over by the Mississippi River and paid an average of about $25 dollars a ton. A ton will spread a long way! Pull a trailer over behind your truck, load it up, cover it up and go home. The work really begins then to unload the trailer!
Ron

I bought 8 tons of the 1/4 inch, $20 a ton delivered. 8 tons was the minimum delivery.
Thought I would have plenty left over. Instead I need to buy more.
Ralph

Ric keeps his in 5 gallon buckets. HEAVY! When I help ballast before his ops sessions, I’m always amazed, or dismayed, at how much I use up. Not surprised you used up 8 tons!