Large Scale Central

Cribbing?

I’m interested in building some scale cribbing along a section of track, but I’m not real clear on how these are constructed. Can someone advise me on this or point me to a “how to”? I haven’t had any luck googling it.

Cribbing was one of those “Oh, of COURSE!” moments for me when I found out how it was done, but it wasnt that obvious to me. This image will help illustrate

The crossmembers are obvious, but what about those that look like they’re going into the hillside? Well, they’re going into the hillside, and THEY are anchored to shorter crossmembers, also. Basically, cribbing is done like Lincoln Logs. The ‘box’ is built, then backfilled with riprap. They’re not built like a retaining wall.

Thanks!

Cool Bob !

What did you use for material, standard dowling? And how did you get that nice distressed - been here for a hunnret years look?

JR

WHa??? didn’t I tell ya that like years ago??? heheheheheh

I’ve seen that photo on another website somewhere. I think it is a polymer casting of cribbing. That’s why it is so detailed.
But it gives you the idea.
jb

Hey Ray

Check out my Const. Log (NBRR) there is a shot of how I did some of mine…like Bob said, Lincoln Logs, well…kinda!

I bought the plans from Garden Texture and that led me to build it!

let me know if I can help!

cale

there are a few different post/pictures in above mentioned thread showing the crib…

and I built mine from cypress…

Yea, its not my cribbing, I just did a quick Google image search and came up with what I was trying to describe.

Bob McCown said:
Yea, its not my cribbing, I just did a quick Google image search and came up with what I was trying to describe.

Here is a pic of some cribbing that I made out of 1/2 inch cedar that I cut on my table saw. It is so easy to do.

Ive put some in place It’s a little less traditional… but it look okay 5/8 x 5/8’s tied together with 8-32 all thread

works pretty well with a 1x1 driven down inside and finish nailed to the lattice. mark

That looks GREAT, Mark. I love it!

Mark, thats an impressive retaining wall but I notice that there are no tiebacks into the soil, are you concerned that the force of the soil will eventually push the retaining wall out? I always thought that the most important idea behind cribbing was that the tiebacks into the soild helped hold the soil in place and greatly reinforced the cribbing? Heres a typical interior of a crib wall before being filled in, this is a closed type wall,

The tiebacks into the soil are very prominent Heres the same finished closed type crib wall,

Mark, Vic, great pics! Thanks!

Ray – The deadmen have not been placed yet in those pictures, but with the short rise I do not think they will really play a significant role in most of my walls.(Of course I could be totally wrong there!) You simply slide (or pound) the deadman into the slot, toenail it in position, and nail a double tee on the interior end of the dm. The Walls also have about 3/4" setback angle from bottom to top as well which will also help…

mark