Large Scale Central

Covering up switches

I’ve been thinking about putting some type of cover over my switches for the winter, most are LGB but some are still Aristocraft, to help protect from all the snow & ice from winter. Never done it in years past but considering it now as those switches have been subjected to over 5 yrs of Michigan winters, does anybody else do this?

I have a couple switches i cover . I use a plastic storage “shoebox”. i cut notches for the rail so it sits more snugly and then set a brick on top to hold it down.

Terry Burr said:
I have a couple switches i cover . I use a plastic storage "shoebox". i cut notches for the rail so it sits more snugly and then set a brick on top to hold it down.
I do something very similar for electrics - works very well.

The botanic has some corrigated drain pipe that’s been split the long way for covering switches. They only have 2 switches.

(http://www.cubaconstruction.net/images/corrugated-plastic-drainage-pipe_small.jpg)

I don’t cover. I plow and run until I get the unavoidable So. New England ice pack. Then I just wait for the January or spring thaw. So far in 3 winters I’ve had no damage.

When I used LGB electric switch motors; I found that winter freezing could cause troubles with the old hollow, round magnets in the motors. They changed them to square ones with plastic ends and solved some of the problems.

With that problem; I used to remove the switch motors each winter, and do a quick cleaning, and testing of them in the shop, while the snow swirled around outside.

I no longer use any electric switch machines, and don’t cover any of the switches or track. I do not see any damage done to switches of any manufacturer, by winter snow or ice…and we get our share up here in Ottawa.

This is my experience over the years from 1982, through this fine year, 2008.

On the old layout I had about six LGB switches. (1600’s) They were outside for about 24 years with no problems except two motors.

Thanks for your input guys, guess I won’t worry about it.