Large Scale Central

Corrugated Roofing

I know i can buy commercial corrugated roofing materiel in O scale but I am wondering about a DIY version like we do with pop cans and paper crimpers. Would it be glaringly unreasonable to use the same in O scale. It seems smallish for Large scale anyway but is it going to look huge in O. Is there another way?

I thought about making a jig to burnish it into foil. I don’t want to re invent the wheel. What are others doing in O.

I went the other direction in the 16’ car contest (MIK) I used copper standing seam O scale roofing.

Seems like one could fold foil over battens to make a scale standing seam roofing. I think the mental image of corrugated roofing is too burned in not to see the over sized bends…

When I was in On3 I bought the available …

I have thought of doing standing seam. I know how to make that just a saw kerf in a board will work. Maybe thats the route I will go. I agree the size is gonna be glaring I think.

A friend made O scale corrugated iron using smoothed out aluminum foil baking/BBQ trays.

He made a bender and the "iron"by;

• gluing Bamboo skewers (you could use dowel) onto 2 wooden frames
  • then sandwiched the foil between
  • then just pushed down to create the corrugations to make the “iron”.
    This is similar to what I do with my paper crimper for my G scale iron.

Trying to describe the frames imagine a 6"x 3" rectangular wooden frame which has grooves cut into it that accept the skewers, the skewers are glued into the grooves bit leaving them proud.

To make the grooves clamp the 2 frames together and drill holes that same diameter as the skewers and you will end up with semi circular grooves that will leave the skewers proud by the radius of the skewer.

Hopefully I have describe this so that you may understand, its simple, cheap and an easy way to make “corrugated iron”.

I might even use this method for my indoor HO layout just reducing the size of the skewers by half (HO= Half O)

Sadly my friend passed away from cancer, but I am using all his HO track work for my indoor layout with his widow’s blessing.

So here is what I came up with. Using heavy duty aluminum foil and a jig I made out of some scraps of corrugated styrene sheet I had. Trim the foil to width (3/4") and then just place it on the jig line up the little slider with the grooves in the base and run it back and forth a couple times. Take it off and use the side of the jig to trim to length 3". Makes a 36" by 12’ panel.

The side for trimming length has a groove cut in it to guide the knife. Works pretty slick.

Trim to length first, that way you don’t mess up the corrugations when cutting.

Dave Taylor said:

Just pop them back into the jig …

Dave Taylor said:

I tried that and it made it hard to hold onto. With them long I have a piece to hold and smash and ruin and then when trimmed it came out nice. I will play with it and refine the technique I am sure.

Devon, wonder how the real steel product would work, at least it would rust, Bill

[Add to Watchlist](https://www.ebay.com/myb/WatchListAdd?_trksid=p2047675.l1359&SubmitAction.AddToListVI=x&item=381935133264&rt=nc&srt=010004000000507cb70952b03666762e2f7034c5c0af6a70beea8c6ecd10040566e582fd89666c7b308c98b0faf106fdf77e6511d8e850f38adddfbcf717d405609e1d7ad3a8f84095d8ce82dbf5482b0631e1a9b03e94&etn=Watch list&tagId=-99&wt=d5f807e402d94d4c7fe0c7e2e50df52c&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en&sourcePage=4340)
|

Picture Information

• thumbnail  1 - PRECISION-BRAND-16155-Shim-Stock-Roll-Cold-Low-Steel-0-0015-In

• thumbnail  2 - PRECISION-BRAND-16155-Shim-Stock-Roll-Cold-Low-Steel-0-0015-In

Opens image gallery
PRECISION-BRAND-16155-Shim-Stock-Roll-Cold-Low-Steel-0-0015-In

• PRECISION-BRAND-16155-Shim-Stock-Roll-Cold-Low-Steel-0-0015-In thumbnail 1

• PRECISION-BRAND-16155-Shim-Stock-Roll-Cold-Low-Steel-0-0015-In thumbnail 2

Shop with confidence

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Learn more - opens in new window or tab

Zoro Tools 99.6% Positive feedback

on eBay

Zoro Tools (894976 )
99.6% Positive feedback

Shop Zoro Tools on eBay

Save this Seller

Contact seller

More… See all

80/20 12271-2 End Cap,For 30-3030,PK...$1.79FAZTEK 15FAC3801 Drop-in T Nut,Type ...$31.46ZORO SELECT 2HKF3 Flat,Steel,4140,1/...$12.17ZORO SELECT G15-TRCE-1.5-3 Rod Stock...$196.96

Details about PRECISION BRAND 16155 Shim Stock,Roll,Cold Low Steel,0.0015 In

Bill, It would need to be annealed to dead soft to overcome spring back.

I don’t think an annealed shim would wear well.

I have thought about using it in G but for my little jig and O scale I am not real sure how that would go. I do want to play with real steel in the Fiskers crimper and see what happens.

Devon, I’ve used steel shim stock in the fiskers crimper with good success. I’m not sure of the thickness currently, I think it’s .002. I’m out of town at the moment so I can’t check. I last used it on the cookhouse I built in the Mik challenge in 2018.

Edit: I checked my order history with McMaster Carr and it is in fact .002 steel shim stock.

Devon Sinsley said:

So here is what I came up with. Using heavy duty aluminum foil and a jig I made out of some scraps of corrugated styrene sheet I had. Trim the foil to width (3/4") and then just place it on the jig line up the little slider with the grooves in the base and run it back and forth a couple times. Take it off and use the side of the jig to trim to length 3". Makes a 36" by 12’ panel.

The side for trimming length has a groove cut in it to guide the knife. Works pretty slick.

You will be modeling Amtrak before long !

Devon: I use steel shim (.003 I think) with the crimper and then rust it with muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide. stop the rust with matte clear coat. Learned how to do this from Dennis Rayon [link].

Here’s what his looks like:

So, Jim would the one shown in previous post be too thin? .0015

Sorry, Bill, I have no experience with other thicknesses of shim stock. I do admit that I am a bit disappointed in the depth of the corrugation I get with the .003 so it may work better at .0015.

fwiw, here’s a couple of pictures of some roofing after a couple of years outside:

As I mentioned, the corrugations aren’t that deep. fyi: a lot of the bending and other damage is because the wind keeps blowing my roofs off, as I haven’t attached them yet due to a long overdue lighting project.

ok, back to Devon’s topic… sorry to hijack…

after looking at your picture maybe the .0015 would be a little thin, I’ve done coke cans before but never steel and was just looking for something that looked a little more real the aluminum is hard to paint and have look good, Bill

sawmill

I mentioned the need to anneal earlier, the shallow bends are expected.

Scroll down to the section; Torch

https://makeitfrommetal.com/beginners-guide-on-how-to-anneal-steel/

after reading that I guess I wont be using the wife’s oven anytime soon, thanks for the lesson, Bill

Hmmm wonder if all y’all will want to rent oven time?