Large Scale Central

Controlling switching operations

Okay what to you operations type guys do? Planning my RR and thinking of different methods of controlling switches and uncoupling cars. Do some of you throw swiches manual and use the ol’ flat screwdriver trick to uncouple? Or go the other way with remote electric switches and Kadee uncoupling?
Just wondering what the consensus is, without opening a can of worms.
Randy

I use all manual switch stands. I follow along the train, so throwing the switch by hand is no big deal. It also gives me a chance to make sure that nothing is keeping it from switching right.

I use AMS/Accucraft couplers. That can be uncoupled by using the lift bars I’ve installed, or by pressing up from underneath. When I couple, I also hook up the air hoses. I’m in the minority. :wink:

Control of the train is via RCS.

All 53 outside turnouts are manual, all Tenmille ground throwsl. Inside there are 3 electric controlled turnouts that are just to hard to reach. The other 20 something are manual, mostly Tenmille ground throws.

We use a screwdriver for uncoupling.

I use all manual switches with Tenmille ground throws and follow the trains. Since I’m on benchwork at a nominal 40" height I uncouple my Kadees using popsickle sticks sanded to a blade on their ends. Cheap, easy and no worry if someone walks off with one in their pocket.

One friend that had a ground level RR used long dowels with a flattened blade on the end so he didn’t have to stoop over to uncouple. He used Tenmille ground throws for the switches.

Take Randy’s question a step further; I won’t have easy access to any of the switches on my new outside layout so I need remote control of those switches. What is the most reasonablely priced option that works.

Jim Schneider said:
Take Randy's question a step further; I won't have easy access to any of the switches on my new outside layout so I need remote control of those switches. What is the most reasonablely priced option that works.
The most reliable would be an air system. Look at EZ-Air. [url=http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/track-mainmenu-93/air-operated-switches-mainmenu-101]LSC Member Greg Elmassian has a write-up on his website[/url] - I couldn't find an "official" website.

If you’re interested in the ez-air stuff, I have a TON of it (hose, switches, actuators) that Im willing to part with.

Bob, I am interested… since C&OCRY seems to be out of business… can you email me a list of what you have to offer?

Thanks, Greg

[email protected]

Is C&OCRY out of business?

TOC isn’t that the guy you deal with?

I use tall switch stands like those Bruce showed how to make on his site. I also use Caboose Hobbies HO ground throws. They work great, have enough throw and look pretty scale like in 1:20 or even 1:24 scale.
Caveat-my layout is an indoor layout.
Dave

Ric Golding said:
Is C&OCRY out of business?

TOC isn’t that the guy you deal with?

He got a real job until the economy improves. Working the train stuff part time until then.

http://www.cocry.com/

Lots of interest in the air stuff. Good to know its wanted!

Bob McCown said:
Lots of interest in the air stuff. Good to know its wanted!
I can still bend over and throw the lever. :P

We use “Barrel Bolt” ground throws…for hard to reach places we use choke cables. We also use an actual real life high level switch stand to throw a switch.
most of this is covered on our web page at: www.ovgrs.org/

I am a fan of the LGB switch machine, #12010. Nearly 50 switches, all outdoors, mostly Aristo wide-radius and some #6. Several are coupled pairs. I use the LGB power booster to ensure reliability when throwing the switch. Only one problem, to date, when ants decided to take up residence in one mechanism. A quick hose out and the machine was operating again. After several years outdoors the electrics have proven very reliable. I run an elevated road (24 inches high), so do not suffer the problems associated with ground level operation.

Uncoupling is carried out with either a bent piece of brass rod or a spatula (cake stirrer) taken from the kitchen.