Large Scale Central

Compatibility between manufacturers... Does it exist in G scale?

Granted, it’s been a REAL long time since I’ve played with model railroads… but I’m noticing something disturbing with G scale.

Time was… your basic Lionel 027 track would mate with Marx stuff, no problem. Couplers were another matter, but you can’t have everything. The only kid in the neighborhood who was left out in the cold was the guy with an American Flyer S gauge outfit. When Kusan O scale came along, he was an outcast too, but that stuff was RARE in my neighborhood.

In short, there was at least SOME equipment compatability between manufacturers.

I just came into some G scale couplers… beautifully made Aristo Crafts. A bit of modification was needed to put a pair on a Bachmann bobber caboose with a broken coupler, but it was minor.

Guess what? Aristo Craft won’t mate with Bachmann couplers, even tho they look like they should mate.

When you get to track, the situation becomes downright chaotic… these companies clearly don’t like each other, and it’s all out war. I can’t find anything that even comes close to compatibility between manufacturers, and it’s clearly deliberate.

When it comes to specialized track items, like switches, is there ANY reasonable way to make, say, Lionel switches work with Bachmann track?

Mr. T.

Tom,

The flippant answer is: “G” stands for “Geeee, why doesn’t this fit???”

On the serious side, compatibility is truly hit and miss if you try to mix and match different manufacturers. But the coupler difficulty is easily solved: change all of them to Kadee and be done. Flog the other couplers to whoever uses a certain make as his standard.

Why Kadees? Largest selection of different types for all kinds of different applications.

Now on that track … hmmmm any of the comments I’ve read on those two makes didn’t impress me, but I’m sure one of the guys knows THE solution. :wink: :slight_smile:

Tom:

There are many items from a very wide variety of LS manufacturers that are fully compatible:

First of all there is track gauge. All 45mm, to the chagrin of some!

Then there are the scales: Consider 1:32 (the ‘accurate scale / gauge combination for standard gauge on 45mm gauge track). It is supported by at least a couple of major manufacturers with several new kit and parts suppliers. As more scale modelers (as opposed to toy train operators) enter the fray, this scale will probably pick up more support. Then take 1:29: An incorrect scale / gauge combination, but with strong support from numerous manufacturers, including Aristocraft, USA Trains, American Mainline, and several others. 1:20 scale is the correct scale / gauge combination for 3’ narrow gauge models running on 45mm track and has good support from Bachmann, Accucraft and lots of kit manufacturers. Even the more obscure scales garner good support.

Most LS modelers don’t run a 1:32 scale SD9 with a 1:13.7 scale 2’ gauge Porter. The items within each scale/ gauge combination do have a high degree of compatibility, but there is certainly an apparent lack of compatibility if you are naming everything that runs on 45mm track “G scale!”

The items you mention are certainly open to discussion, but I have to disagree with your conclusion. First of all, couplers: Those Aristocraft couplers are designed for fairly modern 1:29 scale trains. The Bachmann couplers are designed for their 1:22.5 scale line of cars from an earlier era. There is a significant difference in both the era and scale of those cars. It would only be natural that they wouldn’t be fully compatible, regardless of looks. And yes, Bachmann does use a lower height than most, but that is also part of their narrow gauge focus. HJ has suggested the coupler solution (Kadee) many folks use, but even Kadee has two choices of coupler size. Again, this choice is primarily driven by the modeler / user’s chosen scale, prototype and era.

Next, the track: The Lionel & Bachmann tracks you mentioned are really considered fringe items by most LS model RRers. I don’t think Lionel track is currently produced, and Bachmann track is only good for indoor use. The track available from both these manufacturers is limited to the sharpest radii and can only be used for the smallest locomotives and rolling stock. Many of us would say there is no reason to “. . . make, say, Lionel switches work with Bachmann track . . .”!

While compatibility might not exist in what you term “. . . G scale . . .”, it does exist within the individual scales and eras you are lumping together. Just as the 0-27 & 0 scale Lionel trains were incompatible with Marx S scale trains, there are limitations in what is termed “Large Scale.”

Hope this helps in understanding why lots of LS things don’t work with other LS things!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

When the subject of couplers arise, I think I have gone down the correct path for me. I have standardised on the Bachmann Knuckle Coupler, it is economical to purchase and is the only coupler which you can retrofit all all rolling stock, Aristocraft, USA Trains and LGB US cars. Recently fitted Bachmann Knuckles to an LGB Forney, and to an LGB Sumpter Valley Mallet, both accepted the Bachmann coupler as if it was designed to fit.

Try and use a supplied USA Trains Knuckle Coupler on a USA Trains car and you have to cut the housing to fit their own knuckles to it.

Bachmann will do me, fairly reliable, very few uncouplings in traffic, and easy to fit, and cheap to purchase.

Most G gauge track is compatible, but there are a few oddballs. You happened to hit on a couple of them. Bachmann’s is tinplate track made for indoor use only.

The most popular brands of track are Aristocraft, USA Trains, and LGB. These are all very compatible, and use code 332 solid brass rail. Your Lionel switch would actually work with these, if it’s brass like the one I have. But the rest of Lionel’s G gauge track is not brass and wouldn’t be compatible.

There are other alternatives too, by various manufacturers: Smaller rail such as code 250; aluminum track; stainless steel; and even some nickle-silver.

As others have pointed out, one source of compatibility problems is that there are several different scales of “large scale” trains being made for use on the same G gauge track.

Compatibility?

Strictly forbidden! :smiley:

Compatibility between manufacturers… Does it exist in G scale?

That would be a big fat NO!

j

I think the problem is that G scale as a term is meaningless. It seems to encompass anything from 1:20 to 1:32. How could there be compatibility? The only thing they share in common is the gauge.

Settle on a particular scale and I think you’ll find a lot more compatibility.

John Bouck said:
Compatibility between manufacturers... Does it exist in G scale?

That would be a big fat NO!

j

Sheesh JB,

What’sa the matter? I run BRAWA, LGB and KISS on some funky Code215 track with Kadee couplers and all that on a Swiss model railway, not a compatibility problem.

The first garden railroad train I purchased was a Bachman circus train. I put it up in the back yard for my grandchildren to play with as they were comming to visit for Thanksgiving. I quickly found out that Bachman track turns a realistic rusty brown color almost overnight. Then the engine quits running as the rusty track does not conduct very well. I had to immediately run out and purchase some brass track and replace all the Bachman track before the grandchildren arrived to see the train I put in the yard for them. Even though my first experience with Bachman left a sore spot with me I continue to purchase their equipment. That is except for track. I model 3’ narrow gauge and Bachman has all the engines and rolling stock to fit my requirements. I only use Bachman couplers and I have experienced very little problems with them. I don’t have any compability problems to speak of as their older big hauler cars hook up with their new Spectrum equipment without any problems. Of course I do not use any other manufacturers equipment. If you want to make life easy just pick out one manufacturer and stick with them.

john

<<Sheesh JB,

What’sa the matter? I run BRAWA, LGB and KISS on some funky Code215 track with Kadee couplers and all that on a Swiss model railway, not a compatibility problem.>>

Puttin’ it that way, all my stuff is in full compatibility, also.
But I had to do it myself, like you did.

j

Like smaller scales a few years ago, the “standard” g coupler is an abomination rather like HO Horns or N hooks. 'Cause of that, each company made their own knuckle. I noticed a few years ago that N cars come with both the hooks and KayDees (I can’t think how to spell it). It hasn’t settled out in G yet.