Large Scale Central

Combining Aristo #CRE55475 and LGB Switch Control Box to operate

Is it possible to use both methods (obviously not simultaneously) to operate the same LGB switch motors? I have the switches wired to the LGB switch control boxes (#51750), but at times, it would be more convenient to use the Train Engineer (#CRE55475 receiver) to throw the switches. I am concerned of a power issue, if say, the TE is used to throw the switch and power ‘backfeed’ through the internals of the LGB switch control box, #51750. Both would use AC power input and both output half-wave DC.

My personal opinion…stick with one or the other. There’s probably a safe way to do it but the experimentation could get expensive. My preference would be with the TE.

Tim,

Since you need separate wires from the LGB gizmo just run those two wires through normally closed contacts on a relay that gets operated by the TE receiver, the normally open contacts you connect to the TE power source. Since the relay is either off or on there will be no overlap or backfeeding.

HJ,
I took pen to paper and using your suggestion, came up with a satisfactory operation for combining both methods of switch operation. As suggested, the switch machines will be operated by a LGB #51750 switch control box through the normally closed contacts of relays (two will be needed for each switch machine as I do not have double pole relays - I have heaps of 12V/30 amp single pole relays). The Aristo #CRE55475 will power the switch machine through the normally open contacts of the relay. When I choose to use the Train Engineer to throw the switches, then, using the DC input to the CRE55475 to energise the relays, switch operation will revert to radio control operation, rather than hard-wired to the LGB switch control box. An on/off switch will need to be operated to enable the CRE55475 DC input voltage to energise the relays. Using this method, the two power sources are separated.

Tim,

Sounds good. Where did you get all those relays?

HJ,
the relays come from a store here called K-mart. They are marketted as car horn relays and perform beautifully, throwing the contacts around 4.5 volts. They are fully sealed and I used six that have been outside for four years (part of an outdoor performance/exposure test and they worked first time power was applied.

I also use them to carry track power on several LGB microswitch packs attached to the LGB EPL switch machine.  When thrown,  the microswitch powers the relays which then carry full track power.  The LGB microswitch contacts are only good for 5 amps max. and apparently have a reputation of arcing/welding closed when excessive current passed.  This way the contacts only carry minimal power and the 30 amp relay contacts handle the grunt (and are much cheaper to replace).

Another use is on an isolating track section,  between two different power sources,  say two Train Engineer receivers supplying the rail.  The normal power source is fed to the isolating section through the normally closed contacts of the relay.  If power is sensed downstream (second Train Engineer receiver) then the relay contacts are automatically energised and the power removed from the isolating section,  thus protecting both Train Engineer receivers from polarity reversal barbeque.  The isolating section needs to be as long as the longest locomotive envisaged for use on the railroad,  to prevent the power pickups on the loco/tender from breaching the isolating rail section.

Until I started ‘playing’ with relays, I was not aware of their possibilities.

While perusing the Aristo Technical Support, I came across the following link as regards using the Aristo receiver (ART5474/5475) to power LGB switch machines, dated 1994,

http://www.aristocraft.com/techinfo/manuals%20pdf/5475-lgb_conversion.pdf

I am wondering as to whether the info is current and considering that the original receiver (#CRES55474) only switched two switch machines and the CRES55475 will switch five switch machines, is the info factual? I am concerned that the output of the Aristo switch receiver is not half-wave DC and that switch machine damage may occur as full wave DC will damage the EPL at the input voltages recommended by Aristocraft.

I currently drive an LGB switch machine with the CRE55475 with a straight hookup. There is no problems so far…and it’s been in for around 5 years. The power source is one of Aristo’s old 3 amp power supplies.

Warren,
many thanks.