Large Scale Central

Cleaning Brass Track

Kevin,

this is the first time in 18 years of running trains at the CRRM/DGRS railway that I have heard of any kind of buildup of oil from live steam operations onto any track power areas. I had us switch about 6 years ago from Scotch Brite pads to the fiberglass dry wall sander sheets after our trees started dropping huge amounts of sap due to drought stress. The trees branches hang right over the area that you described. Also we have noticed that the duration of sap drop has extended from a month or so to almost 3-4 months. As far as the oil issue the only possible cause could be me running my “oily” Accucraft C-25 too often. I’ll check the sparky track after my next run.

As for how the railhead looks after a good cleaning with the drywall sheets I think that it matches pretty close to the surface after pad cleaning. And it does not cause gouging on the rail head.

Our LGB track cleaning locomotives get plenty of use, and were in use the past Saturday. I suggest that if you notice that the abrasive wheels are worn to the point that you state please feel free to install one of the new replacement sets located in the “track” drawer.

hope we see you out there more often, Alan (CRRM/DGRS Garden Railway Chairman)

Alan, I never gave much thought to the buildup being tree sap, since it seemed to be concentrated in that stretch that paralleled the steam-up loop. (Could be my guilty conscience on behalf of my oil-spewing mogul; your C-25 is in good company.) I never bothered to mention it, as it seemed to me to be easy enough to clear with just a little extra elbow grease. You’d think–given that tree sap from pine trees was one of the primary drivers of the switch to battery power on my dad’s railroad–I’d think to look up.

Good to hear the LGB cleaning locos get regular use. I’ll usually reach for the drywall sanders, since they’re quick and easy.

Later,

K

I’m glad to hear the real situation, because, no amount of scrubbing with sandpaper removes oily deposits, all you can do is soak up some of the oil with something, and drywall sandpaper is not absorbent, silicon carbide and fiberglass.

Again, my revelation was that I trying to get rid of organic gunk with abrasive, which just spread it around, once I used a degreaser and absorbent pads I was in business.

Now what I saw jives with the situation.

Regards, Greg