Large Scale Central

Charles Ro Sale - DIY SD70ACe for $220?

For anyone who didn’t get the e-mail, Charles Ro is having a “Show Cancellation Sale” https://charlesro-com.3dcartstores.com/assets/html/eclsgshowsale.html I bought shells, power trucks and sideframes to make up some SD70ACe’s as I’ll 3d print and fabricate the rest of the parts.

-Dan

Did you have to call the order in? I seem to not find them on the site.

Jason

Jason V. said:

Jason

Yes, Chuck says there going fast but they are open tomorrow at 9.

Jason V. said:

Jason

You can order online. The ad is a clickable ad. I’m debating on some 50’ mechanical refers…

Craig Townsend said:

Jason V. said:

Jason

You can order online. The ad is a clickable ad. I’m debating on some 50’ mechanical refers…

Craig, I assumed he meant the locomotive shells. You must call in for those.

-Dan

Dan,

The locomotive shells are listed on the ad, but yah, I’m sure a phone call would make sure you get them. Not a bad price for a GP30 shell.

I posted on FB But thought I’d share here as well. This is what you get when you buy the $60 SD70 Shell.

Dan,

I noticed in the video, the first shown SD70 loco (Alaska RR) appears to include the chassis. Do you know if the shells include the chassis, too, or maybe a chassis can be ordered separately?

Thank you very much,

-Ted

Ted Doskaris said:

Dan,

I noticed in the video, the first shown SD70 loco (Alaska RR) appears to include the chassis. Do you know if the shells include the chassis, too, or maybe a chassis can be ordered separately?

The frame is included with the shell. I flipped the CP shell over (and removed the shell) for the video just so folks could see the inside. BTW I also got the SD40-2 and that includes the frame as well.

Boy Dan, I wish I had fast delivery like you. I have a pair in transit, and I’m guessing I still have a week or two to wait. I’m extremely excited as they are going to be used to convert two units into SD75I’s.

Shane

Shane Stewart said:

Boy Dan, I wish I had fast delivery like you. I have a pair in transit, and I’m guessing I still have a week or two to wait. I’m extremely excited as they are going to be used to convert two units into SD75I’s.

I live about an hour and a half away from them but if you purchase in store you get to pay tax vs $8 shipping.

I’d probably quickly get into financial trouble if I lived that close to a G scale store. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks for sharing the sale information. You are the only reason I knew about the sale.

Shane

My main office is 10min away from Ro’s … luckily if don’t have to go in there that often … I usually get in trouble when I get home …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

I didn’t do an SD70, but I built a GP30 in SF since those are like Unicorns on the internet. Mike has all the parts in stock. I am converting my GP30 UP to the SF so the shell, plus all the correct detail color coded parts was like 115.

great deals on the shells and frame, especially if you have a starting loco. Hell even if you don’t and bought the circuit boards, motor blocks, etc. to build one, you could get away with one for probably slights over 200.

Chris Brancato said:

great deals on the shells and frame, especially if you have a starting loco. Hell even if you don’t and bought the circuit boards, motor blocks, etc. to build one, you could get away with one for probably slights over 200.

Exactly what I did. SD70 shell, Power trucks and sideframes for $220. The other parts I’d be tossing anyway since I’m Battery/Railpro and intended to convert to ACe or M-2 with 3d printed parts. I’ve come to realize that about 80% of the shell would need to be changed out with printed parts so it doesn’t make sense. Now thinking I will just make SD70M with my flared radiators and few other changes.

-Dan

Shane Stewart said:

Thanks for sharing the sale information. You are the only reason I knew about the sale.

You are very welcome. I’m sure you’ll be happy with them.

I encourage building over buying but also like to do what I can to support the remaining model hobby manufacturers which is why many of the parts I’ve designed and shared on Thingiverse are add-ons requiring purchase of a commercial model and/or other commercially made parts. Thanks to you and Mike Dorsch for keeping Evergreen and Plastruct in the black!

Mine showed up today. Cool frame stripes on these future SD75I’s. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Shane