Large Scale Central

Changing sides on dual gauge track

Uh, called Gauge 3 in UK where most of it seems to be these days…

I 'spose that the Spur 2 is a left-over from Marklin’s originial designations at the end of the nineteenth century.

Incidentally, the 64mm track gauge is also used by the smallest of all the accepted passenger-hauling miniature engineering railway scales, that of two and one-half inches.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

tac,

NEM-Morop has a very handy PDF about the relative scale/gauges

http://www.morop.eu/de/normes/nem010_d.pdf

nicely cross-referencing what gets also used for which across the “spectrum”. For reasons I mentioned before not available in English but a high-lighted table should be easy enough to decipher even by people who’s German is a bit “rusty” - unlike yours.

The gist of it

0 = 1:45

I = 1:32

II = 1:22.5

III = 1:16

V = 1:11

VII = 1:8

X = 1:5.5

HJ, just to be clear, reading the document, it seems that the letters 0, I, II, etc are not called “scale” nor are they called “gauge” but they are called “size”.

First, is that a correct or incorrect interpretation/translation?

(I notice that the words scale and gauge are also used in the document, so the use of “size” seems to be intentional).

Thanks, Greg

Translations is where it gets interesting. In this instance having three terms in the title “Maßstäbe, Nenngrössen, Spurweiten” “Maßstäbe” is scales, “Spurweiten” is gauges (as in track gauges)". That leaves “Nenngrössen” which in this case means the letter or Roman numeral assigned to that scale/gauge combo.

e,g. II and IIm are both 1:22.5 - just like H0 and H0n3 are both 1:87.

To clarify matters in German the term “Spur” (track) is used for those combos and different letters are assigned to a range of different track gauges (as in 1:1 track gauge). e.g.

“m” = 850 to less than 1250mm

“e” = 650 to < 850mm

“i” = 400 to < 650mm

“p” = 300 to < 400mm

Do I need to mention that those terms are just as happily interchanged in German as they are in English?

The other thing I usually like to mention, I’m very happy not having had to learn German as a second language - that is, it was relatively easy since printed materials in Switzerland are in proper German (give or take a little) not in one of the local dialects that vary considerably.

Uh, THIS is British Gauge 3 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXJYMez9ANI

Live-steam, usually coal-fired, but can be alcohol or even sparkie, although that’s usually for the poor, BTW.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Nice railway tac .

Mike

Great Video Tac, but won’t someone please pay attention to the poor lab. Walking around with toy in his mouth,wagging his tail, and no one even acknowledging his presence. Poor puppy

Noel

Noel , you know what Labradors are like .

Throw something and he would happily lollop all over the trains in his ecstatic attempts to please . then look quite hurt when banished . Except his tail would not stop wagging .

Mike

Hmmm, not my track nor my dawg. Our backyard isn’t big enough for anything much bigger than a an ant, anyhow, 'specially if it wants to run around.

Our choice of pet would be a velociraptor, however, they are pretty thin on the goround thse days.

We make up for it, my granddaughter and I, by having ‘velociraptor tuesday’ where we stalk around the house like the velociraptors in ‘Jurassic Park’ most tuesdays. Great fun, too, AND we get to eat what we catch.

In fact, we are doing it right now…so don’t look behind you.

tac

What does Ig think of Velociraptor Tuesdays? Does he get to play, too?