Large Scale Central

Center to center track spacing.

I stole this photo fair and square from Bob. It is from his TrainOps 2014. This shows why you should allow for a foot to be placed between tracks, in places where it is difficult or awkward to reach your rolling stock, when designing your layout. Ya just never know…

Steve, in that position it looks like he would definitely not be able to stand there if that had not been a flat car in the train. You present a good point.

well, the title is different than the content of this thread - so far…

i personally do not beleive in prostrating myself before my toys. so everything is on benches.
for the trains themselves, i think 160mm (6 1/2") is an adequate center to center distance.

Edit: on straights.

Korm Kormsen said:

i personally do not beleive in prostrating myself before my toys. so everything is on benches.
for the trains themselves, i think 160mm (6 1/2") is an adequate center to center distance.

If everything is up on a bench I’m sure that is satisfactory, for a tangent. Your problem is going to be, can you reach the equipment, to rerail, without climbing on the bench?

I have both ground level and bench work, so I am familiar with the problem.

Steve , my benchwork is accessible from both sides .

I found by experience that climbing onto benchwork is not such a good idea . In fact it could even break under my weight . I made it out of lollipop sticks .

Ground level is out of the question given the embarrassing noises when I bend down . That is not the sort of sound simulation we need .

Actually , your picture makes the point admirably .

Mike Brit

Korm Kormsen said:

It’s the “drift” … in any case R1 turnouts set up as a crossover result in 6.375" c-t-c and since “everything” (from LGB) needs to clear R1 it stands to reason that the c-t-c is larger. But even the 5.875" c-t-c that Aristo has for the #6 and the “wide radius” turnouts is sufficient to run anything that Aristo et al had/have on the market.

Caveat: I do not recommend R1 S-curves without a piece of tangent track between the curves.

Steve Featherkile said:

Korm Kormsen said:

If everything is up on a bench I’m sure that is satisfactory, for a tangent. Your problem is going to be, can you reach the equipment, to rerail, without climbing on the bench?

I have both ground level and bench work, so I am familiar with the problem.

well, on my layouts 36" is the magic number.
i build in a way, that there is nearly nowhere, where i have to reach a distance of more than 36" from the side.
(and where i need more than that, i build an access hatch and duck under)

That should work just fine, Korm.

For those familiar with the Largescale Timesaver at York, our home and at many other shows, the spacing of the tracks is 7 1/2 inches, center to center. We move between the rolling stock quite comfortably.