Large Scale Central

Cedar

I just got back from the lumber yard buying some 1x cedar for trestles and turnouts. Id like to take this opportunity to say:

HOLY CRAP cedar got expensive

Thank you.

Bob,

Would that be Western Red Cedar from Canada? Yes, that stuff has gone up together with our dollar.

OTOH the real shocker is brass wood screws, as good and almost as dear as gold!

About 3 years ago I was at hunting camp north of Williamsport PA and a local up there showed up with a about 30 T&G 6" wide redwood boards about 60" long each for the giant beer drinking fire. Needless to say I traded him a case of Labatts Blue beer(COLD TOO) for the whole load. What a score! Still have it,and not sure what I’m gonna do with it yet? But it would have been a total sin to burn it. I do understand that Williamsport was a huge redwood importer back in the hey day. Beautiful town,with gorgeous Victorians!
Don’t want to talk about brass!..LOL

Who, with any taste, would drink Labatt’s Blue !!!

Bob;
Don’t panic; the Western Red Cedar fence pickets that I bought for you last year, haven’t gone up that much.
WRC is expensive if you try to purchase the long 1x’ 2x; and larger lumber.

Next year when you again visit; just pick up some more of the stuff.

Good to know. Anyone know how hard it is to get lumber like that across the border?

Bob;
Remember that I took several boxes of the stuff across for you with no problem of any kind.
True; it was cut up into set lengths that fitted into the boxes, and was not open and glaring to the eyes of the border guys; but they were never bothered by it in any way.

Fred Mills said:
Who, with any taste, would drink Labatt's Blue !!!!!
LOL...!!!! It's better than most American mass produced beer and probably cost twice as much as what he was used to drinking! Thanks Fred now you hurt my feelings :D
David Russell said:
Fred Mills said:
Who, with any taste, would drink Labatt's Blue !!!!!
LOL...!!!! It's better than most American mass produced beer and probably cost twice as much as what he was used to drinking! Thanks Fred now you hurt my feelings :D
Fred's just trying to lead you on to the straight and narrow aka microbrewed suds with pedigree. ;) :)

…or even Sleeman’s Honey Brown as a better choice…then there are the “Big Rock” products, from out HJ’s way…far better value…