Large Scale Central

Casey's Saloon on the Durango & Jasper

Rooster lights a cigarette and tosses it over his shoulder as he walks away.

2 Likes

Back to working on my saloon. A bit of progress to show.

Building the scaffolding for the roof sign. Initial cross bracing, soldered brass:

And framing the 2 story structure to fit in top of the foundation. The foundation will be half buried. Uncovered near the tracks (near side) and completely buried near the road (far side).

2 Likes

Working on the roof, decided to try some new things.

First, I wanted to make it easy to access the interior. The wood frame is aligned with brass pins on the foundation, and I copied that for the roof. I’m intending to detail the bar area.

For the roof, I wanted it to be sturdy enough to build more details, like the sign, but also wanted it to drain well.

Went to the hardware store and found some 8x12 galvanized shims for roofing.

Some tin snips cut them to size.

Also in the roofing area is a spray on sealant.

I sprayed a coat, sprinkled on some sand and small rocks while wet, then added another coat.

Been drying overnight. Update when I see how it turns out.

Looks ok so far.

Test fitting the sign.

3 Likes

Jim,

Cool experiment! It is something that is easily reproduced here with stuff readily available. Thanks for sharing!

Eric

1 Like

Cool sign! Does it light up?

1 Like

@JRad as to lighting up. The plan is to have lights in front, down low. Maybe 3 of them. I have some Locomotive Joe lamps to use. Still thinking about exactly how to mount them and run the wires.

@Eric_Mueller one thing about this roofing spray: doesn’t seem to be a great adhesive. Easy to remove a rock with my fingers. So beware. It might be possible to do an adhesive first. Add sand/dust for texture, then this spray to look like tar. We shall see how this works. So far the visuals are ok for me.

More progress on the sign. Next up: attaching to the roof and lighting. Gotta find some birds.

After this, a water tank. Roofs need to be entertaining…

1 Like

Jim; when Casey’s Saloon opens; call me and I’ll buy the first round…!!
Nice work, young fellow.
Fred Mills

1 Like

Anybody have 3D printable pigeons?

Jim there is a page on Facebook called mini prints he does stuff up to “O” scale but in a message with him smaller stuff like birds ( he does N,HO and O scale birds) he is willing to size them up, and all sorts of small things and people.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pointer, Pete. I’ve messaged him. Now I need to figure out how to paint guano.

Whiteout, for corrections on paper.
That’s how it was invented. There was this guy sitting under a tree with his typewriter…

1 Like

Jim;
Since the fellow doesn’t ship outside Canada…if I can help you, please let me know…
FJM

FYI, Fred. He does seem to ship out of Canada.

1. What countries do you ship to? How much is shipping?

Pretty much every country. We ship via Canada Post and you can check the miniprints.com website for information and shipping costs.

Yeah, when I looked the items were in dollars, and when I asked he said no problem shipping here, so figured it wasn’t an issue

Unfortunately he doesn’t have a printer big enough to print the Saguaro cactus he makes in smaller scales

I had a glue issue: the usual glues won’t stick to silicone (goop. E6000, epoxy) so I went with screws. Finally got the roof in decent shape. Still need a cover for the tank, siding and trim, a bit of wiring.

There you are, I had been wondering if you were making any progress on this build. :smiley: