Large Scale Central

Casey's Saloon on the Durango & Jasper

No warping on try #2. A combo of drying out of the sun plus some bracing.

Here is the smaller piece. The bar in Casey’s saloon interior:

1 Like

Making slow progress here. Hope it is done enough for the NGRC on July 8.

First, the interior floor and bar area, lit up by LED lights in the ceiling.

Will need to plug those wall cracks so light doesn’t leak out.

Have finished adding the wall cladding, so that’s good.

Here’s the short Main Street. Hope to get lighting hooked up soon.

Nancy Norris is here, pruning and sprucing things up.

That last tree is a Japanese Maple we are trying to bonsai form into a windswept shape.

2 Likes

Really looking forward to meeting you face to face, Jim. Sounds like there is a lot of people coming

Hard to know. Being on the last day, I may have fewer visitors. We’ll have fun even if it is just the 2 of us.

Vegetation has really filled in great Jim. I’ll look forward to some distance views that highlight the layouts growth :sunglasses:

It’s looking AMAZING Jim!

Wish I could be out there.

Well , I’m on a bus , so there will be 3 at least , me my wife and the bus driver. Daughter and 2 kids MAY be a last minute addition!

Starting to build the “party deck” that extends out over the track.

I am making the saloon removable so I can continue working on things. Using nails as pins to hold the deck in place next to the building.

For those that recall Mackenzie’s Mercantile, I will be using the same sign technique here.

Hopefully I will get this done enough for the NGRC!

1 Like

Party deck progress:

And progress on signage:

I am also getting close to finishing windows and doors.

W00t!

1 Like

Fabulous decal work Jim, in both technique and selection!!

1 Like

Great work Jim. I expect to see it finished on Friday :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

Insert pic here < roostercrackpipe.com> . The signage just melts into the structure! Assuming you are planning on trim and if so what color (body,sash,trim) make a difference? 3 color at a minimum perhaps …no pressure!

Just saying (Looks great!)

:rooster:

1 Like

Thanks guys. The signage is the same technique I used on my general store. There’s an article about it.

i’m gonna leave the window trim the same color as the walls. The doors are a different color. Pics from today:

Suh-weet!

IIRC you’re going to but a dance floor there? If so, maybe make a trap door with a special padded hopper to catch them, haha!!

Finally got all the windows and doors installed.

Done enough for the NGRC on Saturday, though I am planning to do a bit more deck work in the next couple of days.

3 Likes

We are coming on Saturday, along with about 30 or so friends!!!

I’m not sure Casey’s Saloon deck can handle all that weight Pete? Jim don’t care anyway cause those that participate in the flowing of spirits at Casey’s Saloon as advertised will fall off the deck anyway.

Jim,
You need to make the attendees sign a waiver before they enter Casey’s ! Looks like a perfect place to catch a killer Buddy Guy show as BB King is dead man along with Jerry Garcia.

1 Like

My dear Rooster. It is always a good idea to get drunks to sign their rights away. Often easy, too. :grinning:

But, just in case, I added railings. They were always intended but I just didn’t get to them until today.

Luckily, our construction team managed to avoid the long drop.

4 Likes

It was such a pleasure to meet you Jim, wish we could have spent the afternoon there , but car visitors and a bus of 35 people can get a little crowded , that layout is awesome !!!

3 Likes

Thanks, Pete! It was a pleasure to meet you two as well. Hope you enjoyed the entire conference.

My layout will still be around if you decide to swing by this way again. But I bet it won’t look as good as it did for the convention!

Cheers!