Large Scale Central

Can you identify these Fn3 Caboose Trucks?

I just picked these up off Marketplace. They were advertised as Accucraft Caboose Trucks. I’m quite sure they are not owing to the fact that they are white metal. I traded 4 sets of Delton Classic truck parts (un-assembled, less springs) with 8 axels of Accucraft wheels I will never use. Cost me $27 in shipping. He was asking $80+Shipping.

My Guess is Bob Hartford or Don Winter. I’m sure there were others made in small runs, but I’m not familiar with other makers. Anyone recognize them?

I removed what I think were LGB power wipers, straightened up the bent side frame as best I could and pulled the jammed in leaf springs back out. The brake beams were just glued on and can be repaired. I think I’m missing several journal box doors by the looks of missing weathering.

My immediate thought was to replace the leaf springs with coils if possible and put them under the professionally weathered Bachmann EBT 2-Bay I got from Pete Thornton. Or, if coils aren’t feasible, perhaps I’ll upscale my Jackson & Burke caboose and put them under it.

Jon,

Those are Hartford caboose trucks, missing journal lids among other parts. one thing to look @ is the axle holes. some folks have run the pants off these with/out sufficient lube in the axle holes and literally worn them out. they can be drilled out and bushed if needed. those may be Accucraft wheel contacts. Ozark I think sells the journal lids separately for these.

Al P.

Thanks Al - I figured you or Stan would know!

I’ll check the axles for play. Seemed alright with a casual going over. The journal lids definitely looked odd to me. Some have no detail, others just a single nb casting off on one side. If I decide to use them I’ll check out Ozark.

So, in your opinion; did I get taken or are these worth at least as much as 4 plastic trucks and 8 Accucraft wheel sets? I kind of feel cheated, but they have potential.

Wasn’t going to say it but you got taken to the cleaners!

https://ozarkminiatures.com/collections/trucks/products/denver-rio-grande-western-3-7-caboose-trucks-with-leaf-spring-and-26-wheels

Al P.

Thanks. I feel so much better now (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Yes, Jon, you got taken. I bought some “Accucraft” trucks from someone on this site years ago.

None of them were Accucraft. They were a hodgepodge of different trucks with misusing parts.

Rather than start a war, I just chalked it up as a loss.

Thanks John. I blame myself, more than the seller. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t know what he had since he is a 1:24 modeler. I should have insisted in detail pictures which I did not. I really only feel like I lost the shipping cost as I’ll probably never use the truck parts I sent and have been trying to get rid of the wheels for years!

I personally don’t see the attraction to metal trucks, say over LGB or other manufactures of plastic trucks. I do understand the Fn3 modelers and their addiction to finer detail and scale and maybe that’s where they go on finer scaled models. Maybe it’s the weight that makes the car roll better as far as handling, etc., don’t know. I guess I put everything into perspective, I buy used rolling stock on eBay and re-due it to a stand-off scale nice looking models, I have some with metal wheels that I’ve purchased used and I like the way they roll, but I’m not going to purchase metal wheels at $40.00 a pair just to improve performance that is hard to tell when rolling, I don’t really see any difference between the two, or for the addition price for the metal wheels. All my trucks when they get re-done are cleaned, axle polished, journals cleaned, and a shot of graphite, I think they roll pretty good.

trainman

Well John, for me it’s the detail. A lot of my railroad is raised and you can see the underside details fairly well. A secondary hobby is photography of the railroad, so I strive for details and backgrounds that are believable. I have yet to meet that goal!

I have no problem with plastic trucks, however. A large number of my cars are sitting on Delton plastic trucks. I do, however disagree with you on wheels. Unless you are running exclusively indoors, or only in a cool climate, plastic wheels will tend to wear quickly and also leave residue on the track giving you fits if track powered. Metal wheels also move the center of gravity lower, which helps cars negotiate less than perfect track. The added weight can be an issue if you have steep grades like I do outdoors.

Jon Radder said:

Well John, for me it’s the detail. A lot of my railroad is raised and you can see the underside details fairly well. A secondary hobby is photography of the railroad, so I strive for details and backgrounds that are believable. I have yet to meet that goal!

I have no problem with plastic trucks, however. A large number of my cars are sitting on Delton plastic trucks. I do, however disagree with you on wheels. Unless you are running exclusively indoors, or only in a cool climate, plastic wheels will tend to wear quickly and also leave residue on the track giving you fits if track powered. Metal wheels also move the center of gravity lower, which helps cars negotiate less than perfect track. The added weight can be an issue if you have steep grades like I do outdoors.

I’ve always heard that metal wheels are better outside and work better on the powered rails, my new g scale railroad is moving closer to being built inside under controlled climate conditions rather then outside. Plus my engines will be battery powered and use the AirWire control system, true maybe overkill for inside, but that’s the way I want to do it. As I’m a modeler putting my re-done engines and rolling stock outside and being in the elements is not so much to my liking and I pretty picky with my stuff, dust and dirt doesn’t add to the realism for me, I use paints and chalks for detail. I understand why you like the metal trucks and wheels for outside running, makes good sense, but for now I just going with plastic and upgrading with detail as needed, thanks for your reply.

trainman