Large Scale Central

Calling all layout squeezers:

Now that my true “garden” (ya gotta be on your knees to work it) layout is complete, my body has sworn off any more down-in-the-dirt RR activity. Hence my upcoming visit to the Port Orford Coast RR next week. I have searched and scanned for elevated or raised layouts. I have read Richards Smith’s large PDF file. Not withstanding some surprise when I see Richard’s layout, I plan on following much of his construction methods (but using a single post, you will see why momentarily). The issue for me is width of layout. I want to utilize about 110 feet of the two foot space between a seldom used driveway to my shop and the lot line board fence. There are some historical buildings here in town that I would like to model but will be limited to facade or “flats” as mentioned in another forum. So I am open to those with experience in squeezing layouts.
Bill

Hehe Bill, You’ll find that virtually everything about benchtop layouts involves squeezing. Most of the structures at Bandon are “flats” as below which you will see when you get here. An outdoor benchwork layout involves many of the same situations as you’ll find on indoor railroads except maybe that curves can be larger outdoors usually.

(http://lscdata.com/users/richard_smith/Bandon2008/BandonFrtHouse-23-FoleyFrt-2008Sep21-Web.JPG)

Foley Fast Freight is only a few inches deep Rick Marty has built some beautiful and finer detailed flats than mine. You might search for his posts or maybe he’ll answer here too. Also Just Plain Folks is introducing some very nice looking flats (I’ve only seen photos) of a gas station mechanic’s shop and another town structure made of resin I believe. http://www.justplainfolkfigures.com/ Looking forward to meeting you soon.

Calling all layout squeezers: I read it wrong! I thought it said" Calling all layout Geezers "

I wondered what he meant by “squeezing” a layout.

“G gauge layout in the space of HO!”

I guess I would end up being a “Layout Squeezer” as I have put largescale on top of and with HO, plus have hung it from the ceiling and have it on shelves far less that 2 feet wide, sometimes only 7 inches wide.

Is a layout squeezer different from a layout hugger? :lol:

Sean McGillicuddy said:
Calling all layout squeezers: I read it wrong! I thought it said" Calling all layout Geezers "
Troublemaker :)
Sean McGillicuddy said:
Huh? Wha'? Somebody calling? Speak up, young whippersnapper!
Ric Golding said:
I guess I would end up being a "Layout Squeezer" as I have put largescale on top of and with HO, plus have hung it from the ceiling and have it on shelves far less that 2 feet wide, sometimes only 7 inches wide.
Good Lord.......yer more than a layout squeezer.....one trip to Ric's basement......Lots of good ideas though!
David Russell said:
Troublemaker :)
Hey I resemble that!!

I rather prefer to squeeze grapes…

A great backdrop model Richard. I like it. Next time you see Mr. Foley (Prop. of Haulage Co.) suggest he spends some $$ an buys newer vehicles instead of the clunkers he presently runs. lol

Richard Smith said:
...Foley Fast Freight is only a few inches deep...Looking forward to meeting you soon.
Just like the person whose namesake it is, a shallow concern..... ;)

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Alan Lott said:
A great backdrop model Richard. I like it. Next time you see Mr. Foley (Prop. of Haulage Co.) suggest he spends some $$ an buys newer vehicles instead of the clunkers he presently runs. lol
Alan - when you live in the past, as my dear old pal Dick and I do, you'll know that buying tomorrow's transport is not possible. :)

Take care now,

tac
www.ovgrs.org

I try to avoid squeezing my grapes…

Alan Lott said:
Tsk tsk Alan. To Mr. Foley that [b]is[/b] a newer vehicle! The ol' oxen and cart was just plain wore out.

:smiley:

Pehaps this is why I was able to aquire a mid 1980’s Saab 900 from him? I cannot tell you how much joy that little plastic car brought me and still does!
:slight_smile: