Large Scale Central

Caboose Hobbies closing/moving, anyone else heard of this?

There was a posting on MLS, MR and Train Orders, Caboose Hobbies has posted a notice that their landlord has sold the building and they are sell stock off accordingly.

Now, there website has a flier for a “Transition Sale”. That to me says they will be moving, where and when is undetermined, and that they are discounting stock to make the move easier. Hopefully, maybe someone nearby can give them a call and ask them directly whats the deal.

I dont want to call them, I am afraid I will make them an offer for Lane Stewart’s Empire Junction micro-layout they have on display

https://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_brief.php

Well, bummer, I don’t currently have disposable income with which to help them out/take advantage of their situation. Best I can do is wish the future be kind to them.

In this economy, “Transitions” can, and in many cases, mean 'Going out of business, reluctantly". I sure hope they are just moving, because the model railroad websites (as well as manufacturers) are becoming very thin on the ground indeed.

I’ll swing by tomorrow and see if I can find anything out. That, and if DCC decoders are on sale, I may pick up one or two…

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:

I’ll swing by tomorrow and see if I can find anything out. That, and if DCC decoders are on sale, I may pick up one or two…

Later,

K

Swing by and make an offer for Lane Stewart’s Empire Junction micro-layout they have on display. When they accept your offer sell it on E-bay for 10% more than what you paid. 10% to 15% is standard wholesale price so all in all it would be fair. Vic will end up owning it eventually.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I’m not sure about that, I’m still “hobby poor”

Oh man, I don’t know if people outside Colorado realize what Caboose means to us. We’ve had lots of hobby shops close and all kinds of other places and no one gets all that worked up about it, but if Caboose Hobbies closes we’re talking a cultural shock to our collective systems. The Stewart layout is cool, but I’m telling you the wooden train layout in the front of the store is where it’s at. I and many parents of young children have endured our children crying their eyes out and throwing fits when “It’s time to leave now!”

I really really hope they are relocating; I can deal with that. But “transition” talk scares me…in the gallery business that’s code talk for we’re out of business. I guess we shall see what we shall see.

They’re looking for a new location, but they’re still in the early phases of that search. Landlord sold the building, so they’ve got 90 days to clear. Everything’s 25% off right now.

Later,

K

The commercial and residential rental markets around here are sky high right now. Hobby shops, especially trains, these days tend to be marginal businesses in lower-rent areas; let’s hope they find some place, but who knows?

…and I hope we don’t hear the dreaded, “We’re focusing our efforts on online sales for now,” which also tends to be more code talk for we’re out of business.

Well, it seems the only thing we know for sure is they have 90 days to get out, and that they don’t have a new location to go to, and they are concerned enough to radically reduce their inventory.

Hopefully they can and want to find another store location, but if they have been there a long time, and I think they have, it’s often that they have a lower than average lease. This can make it difficult to relocate.

I’ve been there, they were not selling at much or any discount, so they weren’t making money hand over fist.

So relocating, and also signing a long term lease can be expensive. Being out in 90 days means that they were either at the end of their lease, or on month to month.

Does not bode well.

Greg

The staff seemed optimistic and upbeat, saying to keep checking their web site for updates as things progress. It could be a “brave face,” but at least for now it seems the intention is to keep things going, just elsewhere.

In terms of large scale, they pulled w-a-y back on their inventory of locos and rolling stock a few years ago, citing that the on-line stores were able to sell things below what they could get them for from their distributors. Now, it’s mostly Bachmann (Big Hauler and Thomas lines) and LGB with a little Piko mixed in. It’s great to see the stuff “in the flesh,” but I think I’ve bought maybe a half dozen cars from them over the years, that’s it in terms of equipment. Their strength is their supply of parts and accessories. They stock the full line of Ozark Miniatures and Trackside Detail parts, as well as Grandt Line, Hartford, and a few others (and similarly-extensive arrays of parts for the small scales). I don’t even want to contemplate what I’ve spent in terms of those and building supplies over the years…

Time will tell, certainly, and I stocked up on detail parts today “just in case.” (That, and a new decoder.)

Later,

K

The business (what remains) may end up being run out of someone’s garage at home, that’s what happened to San Val aka ana.kramer.

Oh crud! I really, really hope they can survive this. Caboose Hobbies is legendary and has always been the “go to” place for narrow gauge modelers, and for all kinds of parts and modeling supplies.

Good news, Caboose Hobbies replied directly on the Model Railroader forum addressing the move, the full context of that message as follows:

"…Caboose Hobbies

July 18 at 12:59pm ·

Hello everyone!

Caboose Hobbies has NOT announced they are closing in any way. Caboose Hobbies rumors and speculation abound on the internet. Don’t believe anything you see on the internet forums. It is pure speculation.

Yes, the land lord is selling the property and building that Caboose Hobbies leases. The land lord notified us Wed. last week as per our lease agreement with them.

We just don’t know… The Miller’s (the owners of Caboose Hobbies) are looking at new store location possibilities around the Denver Metro area.

Pre-reservations: are still good and will be. If needed they will be transferred to the manufacturer directly or another distributor, hobby store, dealer etc. We are still taking Pre-order reservations (any project to be released in the future). We are not taking back orders or special orders for projects already released.

Instead of following the hype, why not purchase something to support Caboose Hobbies?

The good news is we are having a HUGE sale! See our website for full details!
And thank you for your loyal support!.."

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine.” --Abraham Lincoln

deleted

I have not seen any “hype” posted, and frankly, it’s an insulting remark. Maybe he needs to look up the definition of “hype”.

Yes, there is speculation, but nothing beyond reasonableness… The “official” response says they are “looking”… there was NO statement that they will or won’t have a brick and mortar.

The statement “not closing in any way” will bite them in the butt later if they change their minds. Since they don’t have a new place yet, and only 3 months to find one, it will be a push to keep a store open continuously.

I remember someone else accusing people of spreading rumors, a certain Polk person stating they were not closing, and then a month later bye bye… but it did not stop him from attacking people on the forums for their (correct) speculation.

Sounds a bit too angry for a person who wants you to buy things. I’d be a bit nicer to my customers if it was me.

Greg

You guys said “Brick &,and Mortar”

Bruce, ha ha, yea right.

Harvey, you are so right. Pictures on the computer don’t do it for many people, they want to see the product in person. And I used to window shop at a LHS, whose prices were above MSRP.