Large Scale Central

C&C RR Construction Log

I thought I’d show you all how the project is coming along. It won’t be too long before winter shuts me down. I have used 45 yards of fill so far, and I’m only about 1/3 done filling. There will be three bridges on this section of the layout. I will continue to take pics as I build the project. Today I will make two canyons that penetrate into the layout. Sept 15 06. This is the first survey. I scalped the ground with my lawnmower and laid out the outside borders.

Sept 17 06. Then laid out a track plan.

Oct 6 06. I then placed the west side retaining wall

Oct 7 06. Finished the west side wall.

Oct 12 06. Closed up the SW corner and started to fill.

Oct 12 06. Started building up “South Possum Peak”. The markers are track plans, and various boulder placements.

Oct 23 06. South Possum Peak is about done. Hopefully the rocks don’t look like I stacked them.

Oct 23 06. Filled along the west wall and started to layout the northern wall and canyon.

Oct 28 06. Started to “mock up” where the north canyon bridge will go. I used some of my bridge footing forms to bring it up to the right height. I did this to see how the bridge will look, and for easement’s, etc.

John,

Nice looking property. You should have plenty of room there for a nice sized railroad. Will that post by the bridge be removed? It could be an impediment for photos if it remains in such close proximity to the bridge. Not crucial of course but just thought I’d mention it.

Over all everything looks great and you’ll have plenty of room to operate and for general access too. Very nice! Keep us posted please.

By golly ,
Serious earthworks there . I like the look of that , it shows a man with vision . And a big digger to back it up . Should be great !!!
Mike

Am I seeing a “dory” attached to the chain, that is attached to the post? Is there a story behind all of this?

Ric Golding said:
Am I seeing a "dory" attached to the chain, that is attached to the post? Is there a story behind all of this?
Man's gotta catch his fish somehow, and get 'em home to Liza.

Ric Golding said:
Am I seeing a “dory” attached to the chain, that is attached to the post? Is there a story behind all of this?

Yes, Ric, there is a 15 foot small old antique dory/rowboat attached to that post. There’s a huge old logging raft chain and a 25lb navy anchor as well in the display. Plus a bunch of old sea bottom fossils I found up high in the mountains of Nevada . (Shells, clams, misc things that I don’t know what they are–millions of years old.) The fake seagull that sat on top of the post is long gone somewhere. The boat is full of flowers. The dang thing was in my way for the rr, but the missus says it stays. Who an I to argue, she gave me most of the backyard. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: jb

Nice work, looks like you have the beginnings of a great layout!

John,

I’ve had to make many concessions with the “Yardmaster” on the building of the railroad. In the end, it adds to the spirit of what you are doing. It looks like you got the making of a great bit of railroad.

Things like that make an interesting backdrop for the railroad…Call it the Fossil Shell Bridge, or Great Anchor Rock Creek, or Dorry Heights or something…

Have fun working today, John. It’s 25f out there this morning…and it snowed last night…at least on the north side…:frowning:

Warren