Large Scale Central

Buy the model, then the car. Bring money

Vic, I don’t know about the Tiguan connection, though I should (shame!). You’re right about the Cayenne selling well. The lastest figures show the SUV at 16,000-plus units, which is about the total for all of Porsche’s sports cars (I don’t recall where Panamera falls). I remember that when the Cayenne came out, the sports car guys were ready to drive off a cliff. But the SUV has certainly helped makes Porsche profitable, so what do they (me?) know.

Yeah, Scion, that’s it. As for the Z-cars, I know them well. Club raced (and bent up) a 280Z and a 300ZX Turbo, which is prolly still alive, but retired somewhere, possibly in a garage on Signal Hill. The turbo got hyper-tuned by my racing partner, Marc Jones, and made a lot of power, which was scary, at least to me. But it was a top runner in Cal Club Improved Touring and such.

Joe with that Z experience you’d be the best judge of just how Zee-ie the BRZ/FRS is.

I remember when the Cayenne came out and all the purist went nuts, then the Panamera came out and they all went nuts again, the difference is now they’ve gotten used to idea, or older, softer and less inclined to drive a harshly suspended 911

:wink:

Hey, watch it pal! You’re talkin’ about my car–the “harshly suspended 911,” not a Z which was one of the scariest animals in fast, quick-transition curves like the flat-out Esses at Riverside where I did some agricultural work in my 280. I also reconfigured the left rear quarter of the 300 Turbo, but that came from driver error, trying to go one-on-one with a Vette in Riverside’s turn 9, the scary fast sweeper at the end of the back straight using cold, old tires. But the car survived to race again and again and is sitting somewhere collecting dust. The only scary part about it to a guy with a vivid imagination, is sitting in front of a 20 gallon fuel cell full of 110 octane race gas with these twin electric fuel pumps humming in your ear and thinking, “What if a fitting broke?”

That "harshly suspended 911

67Porsche.jpg (640×378)

Joe Rusz said:

Hey, watch it pal! You’re talkin’ about my car–the “harshly suspended 911,” not a Z which was one of the scariest animals in fast, quick-transition curves like the flat-out Esses at Riverside where I did some agricultural work in my 280. I also reconfigured the left rear quarter of the 300 Turbo, but that came from driver error, trying to go one-on-one with a Vette in Riverside’s turn 9, the scary fast sweeper at the end of the back straight using cold, old tires. But the car survived to race again and again and is sitting somewhere collecting dust. The only scary part about it to a guy with a vivid imagination, is sitting in front of a 20 gallon fuel cell full of 110 octane race gas with these twin electric fuel pumps humming in your ear and thinking, “What if a fitting broke?”

In my FF the seat back IS the fuel tank. I can go from belted tight to out of the car in six seconds, and that includes removing the steering wheel. If there was a fire, Im sure I could do it in four.

I’ve heard that, Bob. Thankfully, I never had to find out, because getting out of a enclosed car with door bars ain’t easy. The closest I got to a serious fire was as a photog, at Watkins Glen, when a Porsche 935 with a missing fender and a red-hot brake disc, ignited the fuel that was being dumped in from a gas can. “F-woomP!” I was outta there really fast, though I did get a nice sequence shot that went: “Car in pits; fuel can in place; gas trickles onto wheel; small finger of flame snakes back toward the fuel can; crew member drops can and runs; conflagration ensues; marshalls extinguish flames.” Suffice to say, it was shot with a telephoto.

Come-on Joe, You know I love your 911, but the soft puffy folks I see driving the Cayenne wouldnt survive a trip to Santa Barbara in it. I doubt some of them would even fit in it.

The Cayenne, the Porsche for the folks who don’t want a Porsche.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Vic, no offenense taken. It gave me an excuse to show off my car, Rudi. As for Cayennes, yer right. I am pudgy but not puffy. But neither am I about to drop $72 to $100 thou on a new 911, which would have nowhere to go. It takes at least an hour to get out of LA to find a decent, “clear,” road, and even then it helps if you are the sort who can talk your way out of trouble. Having an “11-99 Foundation” license frame might help. It’s the CHP’s “Get Out of Jail” card, although they will deny that part. And it is legit, which you’ll learn if you Google it. Thing is, ya always see this on fast and/or expensive cars, so what can we learn from that? My former boss had one of those frames when he lived in LA, and while entering a freeway at a decent speed, he got stopped by a very nice officer who told him to cool it and have a nice day. Wouldn’t you do the same for a buddy? Anyway, touring, while living in So Cal doesn’t work for me. Now Buffalo–say what you want, they got some great roads, right at their doorstep. Unfortunately, they also have other stuff right on their doorstep and if ya don’t believe me, ask “dieseldude,” who’s from the area.

One last boring story before I go into radio silence for a while: during a five car, 500 hp and up comparison trip near Buellton, we got lectured (but not apprehended, 'cause we were parked at the time) by a very nice officer who told us that farmers had called them to complain about these crazies tearing around their roads, wilting the alfalfa, or whatever they grow there. "“They have friends in Sacramento, and can own your cars in a heartbeat.” While waiting for our wagonmaster, the art director, to arrive, I thought I’d break the ice by pointing at his Ford and asking, “That thing got a Hemi?” He replied, “It ain’t got s*%#, but this thing…” pointing to his 2-way radio. After a chat in which he told us what you can and can’t do, he gave me a fist bump before jumping into his Ford and setting off in full pursuit mode (lights, siren and lots of wheelspin). See, guys just wanta have fun.

Good stories. Cool Cars are kinda like Cool Women we never forget them.

Usually the cops look at me when I’m cruising aorund like “go ahead and do something stupid” but I had one policeman this past Summer working a detail give me a arm waving gesture like he was starting he indy 500. I thought that was pretty cool so I got on it, an went sideways into a ditch… just kidding I gave him a big smile and a thumbs up.