Large Scale Central

Building a bridge in a different way

Hi Folks, looking throe the web pages and in this forum, i see that most folks always build their bridges in a similar way. Since i use mostly European rolling stock, it was clear to me that i have to go a different way, that my bridge has to look like the ones i know from Europa. To make things simple i will ad some pictures, they should enplane more than thousand words. here a few notes the bridge is complete using just one form to shape the arc. otherwise each rock is placed manually.

Very nice PJ,
Thank you for sharing!
Ralph

Here a few more Pics where the bridge is finished and in use, have fun PJ

(http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/Rigibahn/Zuhause/NEWTRAINBRIDGE.jpg)

(http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/Rigibahn/Zuhause/100_3739.jpg)

(http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/Rigibahn/Zuhause/100_3722.jpg)

Nice bridges

I like the rock “Lawn” we did something like that in our backyard with peagravel to achive xeriscape drought standards.

Beautiful! I love stone bridges, as you can probably tell from my own layout.

That is one cool bridge.

That’s really nice ! Do you know how much rock and cement you used ?

I would like to say I’m impressed, but that really is not near high enough of compliment for that work.

Nicely done.

Michael

Very nice. I might have to think about something like that for my raised area.

What are you using to hold the stone in place?

WOW!

Good job!

Beautiful , so beautiful , nice work .

Any more “How to” pictures?

Bruce Chandler said:
Very nice. I might have to think about something like that for my raised area.

What are you using to hold the stone in place?

Hi Folks,
here a few more details about this bridge and how it is made. in general i use mortar, the ready mix from home-depot, and for this bridge plus ramp i used five or six bags. Here in Arizona we cover the bigger part of the lawn with crushed rock, like shown in my picture. since i have all this rocks in my yard, i did not have to go to far to find my material. each single stone is selected, and if the stone has a flat surface on either side, it is good to use. like mentioned before, i used just one gauger to build the arches, other then that everything i made using my eye to measure. To be honest, the next time i would use a bent board to shape the outside a bit more accurate. The wall thickness is 2-3 inch, the rest is filled up with loose rocks. here a remark on the side, if i would build the bridge again, i would try to achief a minimum 3 inch wall thickness, and the flat surface on top i made one inch thik, i would ad on some chicken-wire, since i found a section where it cracked. Building up the walls is simple, a bit mortar and placing a rock, flat surface to the outside. building the bridge i started on one side, and never worked on two arches simultaneous. to build the arch you see the tool i used, two wood boards with the shape of the arch, and a thin sheet metal that i taped on the wood parts. if a arch was finished, i cut the tape and pulled out the two boards, and in the end the sheet metal. In my case i love this bridge because it solved several problems i hat with that turn in my layout. before i used a smaller radius, and with in the radius i had a way to big incline, the engines tended to slip while passing this section, now the turn is level and larger, and even the longest train will drive throe with out slowing down.

think global and regards Pius