Large Scale Central

Building a 32mm mine tram?

OK, here’s my plan. I HAVE a pair of old Faller ‘e’ train 0-6-0s, I’m looking at an Atlas 2 rail O scale 3 axle dismal that could be rescaled into a Plymouth or Brookville. I have wheelsets for 10 4 wheel mine cars, can get more, and am thinking those Larry G scale 4-1/2" long ‘ore car’ bodies would make dandy mine cars, and save a bunch of time. I have some Faller ‘e’ track (2 circles and about 10 feet of straight), or I can get Riverossi or Atlas 2 rail O stuff fairly cheap… Trouble is, 1. I’m not sure what is or isn’t UV stable. and 2. 2 rail turnouts are kind of spendy, and I’ll probably need about 4 or 5 of them (the ‘e’ train ones appear to be made of unobtanium). Also, which would be better, a half hidden loop or does someone make an inexpensive reversing unit ? ideas? suggestions? thanks The mine tram and loading tipple at the mines in Ernest Pa

Mik-

Reportedly, the new Atlas stuff is UV resistant, not sure where I heard that. I cann tell you from personal experience nearly 25 years ago the stuff was not. Did not like Mamod camel dung tablets either for that matter…

Sounds like an interesting project!

If you cant find UV stable track, a good coat of paint from a rattle can should do the trick, then just clean off the rail tops with thinner. Now you’ve weathered your track and made it UV stable in one step.

I’m going to build a Gn15 for a mine on my layout. To build a loop for mine I’m planning two mine entrances that will hide the loop. I decided against a reversing unit because there will be a switch for the tipple and I didn’t want to forget the switch was activated and have the mine train back into the tipple when I was 100 feet away from the controller!