Large Scale Central

Build Challenge 2014?

It seems to me that the overwhelming decision has gone to structures for this year… Am I right?

Good, cause that was where I was heading to and already preping for.

I really really really like the door thing, and I wish that I had thought of that as a starting point. But I still have an ace up my sleeve ( i Hope ) and another thought.

The problem is the scale gorilla on our backs, a 3-6 x 6-8 standard house 1:20.3 door would nearly work for a garage door in 1:32.

Did I say that I really like the door thing!

Lets work this out…

A front door with a window is a front door with a window. You pick the scale. The door can be installed as part of the finished building, or can be flotsam, but must be part of the finished project.

Is this the consensus?

It wins my vote. Are you going to burn this one down Steve?

That works for me. I need to check my boxes. Might already have something Grandt-ish.

So, when shall it be due?

Vic Smith said:
That works for me. I need to check my boxes. Might already have something Grandt-ish. So, when shall it be due?

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. Don’t we usually do this after New Years?

However, being a structure, it might take longer…

Dave Taylor said:

OK guys and gals, I think that Challenge 2013 was an overwhelming success last year. How to top it?

Honestly I think you need a criteria and a set of rules that must be followed and not changed.

I do like the structure idea and staying within the alotted area.

Scale matters not …just build within the given dimensions. You can go as high as you like (or as low as you like for that matter) but you must stay with in the parameters of your lot (kinda like 1:1 real estate but with no building code) and you must have a measuring tape in the picture for reference.

Just my input

Shut up Rooster!

OK, don’t forget the front door requirement. I’m pretty sure any designated size will be larger than anything I have in mind. I suggested 12"x12" just to keep things manageable but I will ceed that to our esteemed judges, whichever panel of motley barfly’s you scrounge up .

I thought the builds were all voted on by committee (ie all the active posters on LSC)? A structure build sounds fun. I wonder if I could figure out something…

I like the idea of a structure, I like the critera of 12" x 12" or smaller, and yes a longer time frame is good. Maybe instead of a maximun amount of money spent just keep track of the amount and post the amount with a description of the build procerures. Have an odd number of judges,
Dennis

Craig Townsend said:

I thought the builds were all voted on by committee (ie all the active posters on LSC)? A structure build sounds fun. I wonder if I could figure out something…

Craig, just remember that a committee is a life form with 6 or more legs and no brain. That being said, it should be perfect for the job.

This sounds very exciting for the 2014 challenge guys…count me in!..

Yes you guys are correct on the voting part my apologies …I edited my post …I just don’t like how the rules changed as they have in previous challenges once they were started. That’s all.

OK guys there is a clear verdict here.

I posted this now, not to jump ahead of the traditional “after New Years start date” but to get some in-put on where you all would like to go. I see no reason to move this up the calendar.

Todd, what a great idea of the front door thingie.

I’m still working on my ace in the hole. I would just need some lead time to pull it off.

I like the front door with window idea.

I have a suggestion regarding scale - the not to exceed footprint should be relative to scale, stated in scale feet. A 24’ x 24’ footprint in 1/24 scale would be 12" x 12". One to twenty point three would be 14.2" x 14.2" and so on…

Geoff thats a good point,

I’m planning something on a 12" x 12" base (I’ve already cut it), but the building itself would actually be smaller than the 12"-ish square maximum, I need to find and stock up on a few “special parts” now.

I like the front door idea.

Everything suggested sound great to me, but have one question.

Does it make any difference if the front door is scratch built or store bought? My preference is scratch built to make it more creative.

I think as long as its a “front door” with a window. The source, size and style is up to you.

I already have my door and have my build in mind. I’m ready to start with mine. I might “jump the gun” a little because I have something a little different in mind in which the building is one part of, to get the rest of it ready for the "challenge " part.

It must have something to do with that hot Burbank weather!

I think the front door should be exactly the same for everyone as the starting point.
What was so neat about last years challenge was that most of us started with the same exact gondola kit and our imaginations took it from there. Some built flats, some vans, gondolas, idler cars, a pickle vat car and my build was a MAC Speeder. No 2 were alike even if they were built as Dave supplied, they were painted different.
With the gondolas I don’t think too many of us had a problem with scale but I see where a door might be different considering a 1:32 door is alot smaller than a 1:20 but to compensate that is where your imagination comes in. The door doesn’t have to be on the front or even used as a door, maybe use it as a table over saw horses or junk leaning up against your building. Maybe some kids grabbed it and used it as part of a tree house??
Lots of things to do with a generic door.
I hope to see lots of crazy interesting things coming out of this challenge.