Large Scale Central

Broken track

I was gazing out my back window this morning and noticed what looked like a kink in some rail. After going out and taking a closer look I found that the track had cracked in half…both rails. Not the ties, the rail had actually broke in half. This was a section of AMS 250 track on a 10’ dia curve. I have never seen rail break like that. Looks to be easily fixable by sliding a couple of rail joiners over it and adding a couple screws to better hold it in place, but it got me wondering if anyone else ever had this problem. It’s been cold the last few days, but NOT that cold and it doesn’t look to be stepped on as none of the surrounding area is disturbed. If my digital camera was working I’d take a picture of it…strangest thing I’ve ever seen…

Wow that is different !
Did a elephant take a shortcut through your yard ?
Hope thats not another side effect of global warming ?

Marty Cozad and “Split Jaw” have been making expansion tracks like that. Maybe you had a natural one created during contraction.

Dennis Paulson said:
Wow that is different ! Did a elephant take a shortcut through your yard ? Hope thats not another side effect of global warming ?
I've seen a lot of other things take shortcuts through the yard, but no elephants ....yet.

I’ts got me wonderin if it was a bad batch of track and it turned brittle in the cold weather.

And speaking of “SplitJaw”, it may take on of those connectors to fix it…

Aliens?

Dennis Paulson said:
Haven't you heard? Global warming is to blame for every bad or unpleasant thing that ever happens. At least, that's what the news media would have us believe.
Ray Dunakin said:
Haven't you heard? Global warming is to blame for every bad or unpleasant thing that ever happens.
Now, I've never said my boss can be blamed on global warming. He has far hotter and deeper origins.

If you find any cloven hoof prints near that broken rail, it might have been him.

Figures, Ken would find the track that automatically makes it’s own expansion tracks…

That’s it, that’s it! Global warming is the work of the Devil! Repent, ye sinners, save the Earth!

:lol:

Ray Dunakin said:
Dennis Paulson said:
Haven't you heard? Global warming is to blame for every bad or unpleasant thing that ever happens. At least, that's what the news media would have us believe.
Gee, and all this time I thought it was George Bush's fault............;)
Ken Brunt said:
Ray Dunakin said:
Haven't you heard? Global warming is to blame ...
Gee, and all this time I thought it was George Bush's fault............;)
Him too. Actually, it's also [u]your[/u] fault. You will insist on exhaling carbon dioxide.