Large Scale Central

Bridge piers and abutments

Okay guys— I posted this question on another forum a day or so ago, with no responses so far, so I thought I would try again here. Don’t know what it is, but sometimes you just don’t get any thing back …

I’ve done a search or two on the subject and have not gotten much. Does anybody have a good reference, thread for construction, or some drawings of a form(s) or for piers or a decent abutment. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark said:
Does anybody have a good reference, thread for construction, or some drawings of a form(s) or for piers or a decent abutment.
I don't know of anything online, but you can find some design stuff in books such as the Model Railroader's Guide to Bridges, Trestles & Tunnels.

Too often; Large Scalers, particularily “Garden Railroad” newbees’, tend to forget that other Model Railroad publications, that seem scale oriented to the smaller scales; are great sources of information, no-mater what scale you model.

Model Railroad Craftsman; Model Railroader, and other publications are great sources, along with Trains, and Railroad & Railfan.

Check out the Librarys maintained by the publishers of these magazines…they would be of great help.

This one might have info you could use. I’ve thumbed thru my copy a few times for ideas.

http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12101.html http://www.amazon.com/Model-Railroad-Bridges-Trestles-Designing/dp/0890241287/ref=sr_1_1/102-3024027-7088130?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185811203&sr=1-1

Thanks guys-- I have looked at a couple of smaller scale references, and have gotten a pretty good idea of what I want them to look like.

What I really ment to focus the question on and am more concerned with is the actual mold construction, mold prep and the concrete/tufa/glupata mix design for a concrete formed abutment or pier, or set up tips for a jig for welded steel trestles.

I’ve never built any reusable concrete forms other than for curbing or fence foundations and then I’d consider those not to be an exceptionally high quality finish item.

Hence the rather vague leadin question at the start…

Mark