Large Scale Central

breaking up a boulder?

Hi folks,

This fall I re-routed my reverse loop to enable 20ft dia curves. Unfortunately I had to over-curve the loop to avoid a large boulder in the way. I am unable to move the rock due to its enormous size. I want to remove about 6 inches off the top of the rock aproximately over aprx.12in dia. The top of the stone is just slightly above grade, but I would like to have room between the rock and track for ballast. I believe the stone to be granite, but with insufficient daylight I have not confirmed that. Sand stone would be a win, but I’m not holding my breath for it in the granite state!

Anyone have advice for breaking up rocks? Heavy equipment is is not an option here. Thanks

Got a sledge hammer and some time on your hands?

-Kevin.

Pneumatic drill and Dynamite?..:wink:

Cold chisel + hammer + time. Thats what I use to make them small enough to move rocks around.

I remember some one drilled some holes and poured some kind of chemical in it. and overnight it expanded and broke it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59kdGYIuUFM

This was informative, from This Old House

As shown in the above video - feather and wedge. I’ve done this and it pretty easy.

Call Stan and Debbie. They moved enough boulders building their railroad.

Paul Norton said:

Call Stan and Debbie. They moved enough boulders building their railroad.

Moving or breaking up rocks indeed seems to be an expertise developed over the years.

We have used four different ways depending on the size and location of the rock.

1. Move it. If it is not bedrock, its amazing what you can do with a few crowbars. The hardest part is digging up the rock and getting the first small movement. Then is is simply a matter of time to move the rock to wherever it is needed.

2. Burn it. Strange as it seems a good hot fire on the rock tends to either cause cracks of dries out the rock to a point it becomes very brittle. This method is especially good at taking 6 or 12 inches off a piece of rock. You may have to do it a few times. Takes 4 to 6 hours of a very hot fire and then hitting the rock with a crowbar or sledgehammer. Some rock develop large cracks quickly while others tend to only peal off a few inches a session. You can actually hear them pop.

3. Feathers and Wedges. Especially good at breaking off the side of a rock of any size. You can rent a rock drill to drill holes and then the feathers are driven into the rock causing it to split.

4. Bring in the heavy equipment. We had one stubborn rock that was pulverized by a very large jack hammer that was on the property to put in a sewer line.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Many thanks guys!

I really liked the video of the wedge and feather method....but I think the fire trick, which Stan suggest, is definitely worth a shot!  

Rent a diamond blade cut off saw and slice it then hammer off the flakes done in a few seconds (will take you longer to go pick up the blade/saw then to cut it more then likely

Jeff, I would go to the auto store and buy a 30 dollar air chisel. These things are pure magic. I have used them to split pieces of concrete as large as 5 foot x 3 foot x 2 foot thick. Actually broke that one into 5 pieces that I could then pick up. I bet it would do the job you describe in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Of course I realize this might not be as fun as fire!

If you want to move the big ones get a 48" Wizard… I’ve got one and 200 pounders roll away…

http://www.geo-tools.com/bars.htm

John

Jeff,

In addition to Stan’s fire, build a REALLY HOT fire on the top. Get a couple buckets of ice water ready. Shuffle the coals of the fire off the top and douse liberally with the ice water. This should shatter the top segment of the rock. It may not shatter to the extent of falling off, but afterward it should be easy to knock apart with a sledge hammer. I have done this successfully with several rock types, including gramite.

Good luck.

Bob C.

There is also a product called Dexspan. Drill holes with a rotary hammer to depth on about 6" centers, mix this stuff and pour it in. Come back the next day and remove all the small pieces.

Vic Smith said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59kdGYIuUFM

This was informative, from This Old House

If at first you don’t succeed, get a bigger tool!

ARRH ARRH ARRH