Large Scale Central

Brass Bridge

Hello Everyone;

I have just done some size converting with Handy Converter and discovered that if I build a model of John Allens Memorial Bridge then just the center section of truss's would work out to be 72" long!! Then ontop of that add the two girder spans (one on each end) and that would jump up to around 132 inches or about 11 feet long!!
So since I want to build this is brass do you think it would be a good idea to buy stock in K&S brass shapes??
I told you all I would need a whole butt load of brass, all the lattice work and all!!! 
 It is already hurting the wallet just thinking about it!!!!  I'll just have to go at it one "little" section at a time!  Little is a funny thing when it comes to large scale modeling isn't it? 

Smokebox

Rob,

Here in the Okanagan Valley the College runs an annual bridge building contest, the stipulated material is spaghetti! I’d say you give that a whirl and save a bundle. :slight_smile: :smiley: I forgot what the static load of last year’s winner was, but I was very impressed.

PS Note to Marvin: yes, some of the minor detail are forgotten, it’s all a matter of using the correct “filing system”.

Rob,
I do not think that there is enough K&S section brass out there to complete this project. I would imagine the project setting you back several thousands of dollars. Perhaps you could condense the project to something more managable or consider another material. Even steel section tubing would be cost prohibitive.

I’d suggest contacting K&S and asking about getting the material direct, since no dealer is going to have that much in stock.

Hello All;

Well that was just one more scale shocker!
        The last scale I modeled was H.O.n3 !! I'm still in awl over just how large this stuff is! 
         I will likely build a deck girder with a steel tressel below it I want to make a module that is about eye level and about 7 or 8 feet long with a nice gorge and maybe a second line going over a stream below the upper one.
         I have given up on the diamond with double crossovers as it would just be to large. ( Remember I get to look foreward to moving a lot due to the Army)
         The idea is to have two portions of the module, one at eye level and then have the gorge, the areas that are at eye level will house the boxes or other rolling stock I am uncertin as to wether I want a single or double track main running over this thing. But will likely string trolly line over it also as you all know I'm a GREEN fellow
         I'm planning on making this thing about 30  to 40 inches deep so as to make sure there is plenty of room for stuff on the backside of the module and also be able to model the landscape on the front.
         I'm sure I can make some nice whitewater down low with the same methods as are used in the smaller scales. I think I can make up the lattice bracing with out to much trouble, and well an I beam is just three stripps of flat brass soldered together. 
         A 15 inch I beam in 1/29 is only .5172" so if I can stay away from the really large stuff (milled I beams) then there should not be that much extream cost involved.
         Yes it will take forever to build and yes it is not strong enough to worry about it being outdoors, but in a module indoors (maybe with a tempered glass wrapper ontop)  it would be ok.
          I have to do something as I'm buying tools and stuff and if the wife (accountant/line supper) doesn't see progress, we all know she will cut cost with a bloddy knife, and take it to the bone before she is done!!
         And yes again, photo's will be given as promised.

Smokebox

hehe

When I built my old-style coal hopper, I kept the “local” hobby shop completely bought out of certain sizes for weeks!

http://specialshapes.com/

Tom Ruby said:
hehe

When I built my old-style coal hopper, I kept the “local” hobby shop completely bought out of certain sizes for weeks!

That is what I’m worried about the local guy having a hard time getting what I need! I have not tried to get a bunch of stuff from the manufacture so if the local guy wants to have a special offer then I’m sure it will cost mega bucks!!
I’m figuring on ordering about 20-30 bucks every few weeks until I get this thing under wraps, I’m not sure if the local guy will want to mess with it at all!!
What I will need to do is figure out what part number 's I need and then contact K&S or who ever then drop the bomb on them and see what they say.

Smokebox

Check out my steel trestle bents in the Modeling Forum: http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=8848

Brass can be had at a local steel supplier but beware! It’s really expensive. If you are really indoors then stick to wood or plastic.

Neil

I’ve also been buying brass from Trinity Metal Sales on ebay. His prices on the larger stuff is pretty good, and his stock fluctuates, so if you don’t see anything now, he’ll probably have it in a couple weeks. Im making the steel trestle supports from 3/8 brass tube from them. Usual disclaimers, just a satisfied customer.

(http://zbd.com/photos/OnePoint20/DeckGirderBridge/SteelBents2.jpg)

Wow Bob - Why have you been holding back on that project? It looks great :smiley:

I was going to say the same thing, where did the canyon come from? I think we need a couple of wide angle views of this yard, Bob. All we have seen in the past is a couple of shots of the overgrown grass area with the ladder splines and then the mine shots. Do you have a file of the railroad, mile after magnificent mile, that you are willing to share?

Dug that about 3 years ago or so. Right now the bridge is disassembled, being rebuilt, for the new trackwork. Here’s a bigger view of the canyon

(http://zbd.com/photos/OnePoint20/DeckGirderBridge/Bents2.jpg)

And what is the reason for the total rebuild of the track system?

Handlaid track floating. No support below it. Ran fine for a year. One New England winter made it unusable. Putting everything on spline now.

Wow, that bridge is looking great, Bob!

Hey Bob, That is pretty much just what I was thinking of as far as the bridge, I wanted to put in the lattice work on the legs of it though, that is the reason I decided on brass vrs steel.
I’m planning on a deck girder with the trestles and all of the latice work.
In the worlds best situation I would like to make the bridge that is on the cover of Model Railroaders Bridges and Trestels book by Kalmbach. It is a DRG deck girder with a section of warren truss deck spans and a deck girder on the other end.

Smokebox

Hello All;

I just figured out how to use the scanner I just bought, hopefully this will not be to large. So this is what I would make if I had a giant pile of K&S Brass.

Smokebox

OH RATTS!!!

OK let’s try this again.