Large Scale Central

Boomers J&S AMS 1/20.3 Passenger Project (updates as I progress)

Good stuff, Boomer! I am following with interest.

Nice!

i like it.
specially, how different they look, just by changing/moving the heads.

Hi, Nice work, and interesting!

For making brims of hats try the metal that pop or beer cans are made of either is steel or aluminum, you want the latter. The bottoms make useful mixing pallets!

Cut off the top and bottom - I use a slitting saw, and safety glasses MUST be worn, then the resultant tube can be kit with your modelling scissors, flatten in by pulling it over the edge of a table, and that is the material for the hat brim; the advantage is the thickness (4 thou) strength, and the edges can be tweaked to lift them. Build the hat with filler.

Make a master from paper, or card,measure the head distance round with a bit of wire; transfer that shape to the paper/card, abd then the outer edge can be worked out; from the shape transfer that to the metal and cut out the center hole, (I use a dentists burr in a dremel, again wear safety glasses), and the outer edge can be cut with scissors: try curved blade nail scissors they are better because of their curve.

You can either cut a doughnut shaped disc, that goes over the figures head, or a disc (oval?) to go onto a head with the top cut off, that’s easier for making some hat tops.

Add a hatband from paper.

The disadvantage is that it may be difficult to cast replicas from such a thin hat brim.

Yours Peter.

… I thought you’d like this thread, Korm!

i sure do!

THe putty your using. It looks like Squadron Green Puddy?

The Navajo woman is stunning!!!

Great! I bought a few sets of those same pit crew figures a while back (cleaned my LHS out of 'em, too), but haven’t gotten around to doing much with them for the reasons you state–mostly crouching, wearing shorts, etc. Thanks for inspiring me to dig them back out and populate my passenger cars and locos! Is that Squadron Green you’re using, or green sculpey, or…?

Later,

K

Gotta love that paper! :wink: I really like what you have done with these figures; now I just have to find some of them myself.

Say, how about sharing the graphic for you paper? I would really like to have a copy for myself to try!

Good stuff, Boomer. You’re a real asset to this place!

Boomer the resolution is way to small for a good print. What format did you print from? I might be able to help you convert it to a format everyone else can use if I know what you started with. BTW, I’ve been work on Geranamo for about 7 years now, I just can’t find enough images to get a good likeness, and I’ve got about a hundred images.

Boomer, I had to set up a new account because the updated the site and I couldn’t log on any more.
I responded to your email with my address. I can convert that over to a jpeg or a tiff for you as soon as you send it.

Hi Boomer,

I’m following your posts with great interest since I need to re-pose and re-era some figures very soon. So I really appreciate your descriptions of how you did things as much or more as the pictures of the results. Nice highlighting around the folds in the clothing. Same holds true for your coach improvements. I like your stoves and the carpet advice.

Not a criticism at all, but I would be a little afraid to meet your Combine polka dot lady after dark anywhere. Maybe it’s just me, but she looks like a muscular Elliot Gould in drag. She’s probably just perfect for her fellow travelers.

Looks great. You have a pretty full coach, the revenues will be high for the railroad.

That coach interior and your figures look fantastic.

it is a pitty, that most of this interior will not be visible, once it is inside a waggon.

i like your results and your ways to get them. like the barrel --> stove.

Sweet. You did a great job of painting Mr. M and Lydia Kamakaeha. I especially like your carpet, where did you get it? (sorry if you already mention that in a previous post)

I vote for #3