Large Scale Central

Body mount Kadee Coupler for B'mann Climax

What is the number of the Kadee Coupler, for body mounting on the B’mann Climax …#1 scale coupler…

Fred Mills

I used the #1782 1 Scale Coupler Conversion - Modified Couplers with Mounting Brackets on mine.

That a link, but it’s not looking like it should - https://www.kadee.com/1-scale-couplers-c-274_276_288/1782-1-scale-coupler-conversion-modified-couplers-with-mounting-brackets-p-199.htm

Thank you, Mark…

Fred Mills

That entire kit from Kadee looks like it is designed to prevent or reduce coupler droop in the pin pocket which is good. For my Shay, which uses a similar pocket, I simply modified a coupler to pit snugly in the pin pocket by adding some styrene on the shank then drilling for the pin. It droops a little, but not enough to cause issues. I used a Bachmann drop coupler, but similar might be done with a normal Kaydee coupler…

Jon;

I was looking for a more prototype coupler. The offset shank is not very prototypical, although it can be said that there is a prototype for anything…!!..…I use the Kadee #1 scale couplers as the standard on the railroad, so I want as little “Slop” in the mount as possible.

I studying the Kadee information, pointed out by Mark; I find that their #1782 coupler will be just fine. It isn’t a “Shake the box” application, but should not be any problem.

Thank you, Jon, for your contribution…and again, thank you Mark.

Fred Mills

No problem Fred. I wasn’t suggesting that you duplicate mine, only offering a way to “do it on the cheap” with couplers most people throw away. The Climax may have a lower pin box. With the Shay I need the drop coupler even when using the lowest pocket in the pin box.

At least no one suggested you do it like this guy did and trying to sell on Facebook for $400!

….Jon…I like “On the cheap”, but I really dislike “Offset shank couplers”…!!

On the Shay, the recommended method, which I have often used; is to move the “Pin box” down. I did this, and added an extra strip of wood to the bottom of the end beam.

Thanks again, John…it is good conversing with you…and sharing ideas.

Fred Mills