Large Scale Central

BNSF Heritage Fleet (SP&S)

I found these mentioned on the Yahoo Group for the SP&SRY History Group. I did’nt know that the BNSF was doing this. Fascinating. Now I’m on a hunt for the rest of the Heritage Fleet.

These were taken from the RR Picture Archives website.

This one was taken in 2013.

And, this one in 2014…

Crikey Steve , they must weigh a bit when full of cement powder .

It certainly is a nice colour too .

Mike

It won’t be long before it is covered in graffiti. They should do the power instead of cars.

John Bouck said:

It won’t be long before it is covered in graffiti. They should do the power instead of cars.

Like this one, jb?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/28/c7/01/1c462_f94a.jpg)

It is said that the only reason that BNSF is doing this is to protect their logos. Don’t expect any heritage paint jobs on power, anytime soon, at least until there are changes in the wardroom. Until then, we’ll just have to limp along with that ugly swoosh. I wonder how Nike running shoes feels about that?

Here are the rest of the Jim Hill Lines in the Heritage Fleet. there are others…

Great Northern…

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/36/c7/01/1c470_2dbb.JPG)

Northern Pacific

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/38/c7/01/1c472_2759.JPG)

Chicago, Burlington & Quincy

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/2c/c7/01/1c466_2037.JPG)

I’ve also found photos for Fort Worth & Denver, Frisco, Colorado and Southern, BN, Santa Fe. I haven’t found one for the Oregon Trunk Line, nor for the Spokane and Couer D’ Alene, but I don’t expect to find those, they were too small for BNSF to worry about, I think.

Why do they not use anti grafitti paint so that the stuff can be hosed off ?

They would only need to do the specials .

Mike

Mike Morgan said:

Why do they not use anti grafitti paint so that the stuff can be hosed off ?

They would only need to do the specials .

Mike

That would require thought in the wardroom. We both know that never happens. :wink:

Steve, a slightly related topic…Am I the only one who prefers the Heritage 1 diesel paint scheme on their power as opposed to the Heritage 2 and 3? At least the swoosh has more black (brunswick green?) in it and tones down the bright yellow. The Heritage 2 and 3 to my eyes have too much yellow on the sides and it seems to be a colour scheme that is non-railway…
But then I never understood while the least of the the three big BN railways became the first name…did not make sense to a Westerner…
Myron

I’m with you, Myron, I like the Heritage I scheme, as it is closest to the GN paint scheme that I grew up with.

The story of the Burlington Northern name goes like this… Originally, the name of the railroad, after the merger of the 4 Jim Hill lines was going to be the “Great Northern Pacific and Burlington Raliway Company, Inc.” That was in 1969/70. well before word processors. If you were to take a look at some of the earliest documents, before the date of the merger, you will actually see that title.

The secretaries in the head shed, who actually had to type that long moniker, revolted, and said that they refused to type that over and over, and demanded a shorter name. A compromise was reached, taking the Northern from the GN and NP, and the Burlington from the CB&Q. To avoid the clumsiness of Northern Burlington, the name became Burlington Northern.

I got this info from the Supervisor of Appleyard, at the time of the merger. He was a member of my church, and had been a student of my father’s. I suppose its true. No, I don’t remember his name.

And add the Spokane, Portland and Seattle to that and it would really be long. :slight_smile:

Sometimes, the last name of a company (the family name?) has more staying power. Remember that Santa Fe was the last name of the AT&SF, standing for a small town that was not even served by its namesake mainline. However, more than a century later, the whole company was often known - and called itself - the Santa Fe. Will it happen again with the BNSF – twenty years from now, only the Santa Fe?

José Morais

Headmaster of the Lapa Furada RR

Mike Morgan said:

Crikey Steve , they must weigh a bit when full of cement powder .

It certainly is a nice colour too .

Mike

I have the belief that these cars carry grain mostly. Cement and other aggregates are usually in two bay cars due to the weight.

Anyway, someone Stateside can confirm or deny this and put the record straight - if needed.

You are right, Alan, these carry grain. I think Mike was speaking with his tongue firmly placed in his cheek… again. :wink:

Oh! I see Steve.

Anyway, I have to say that I love the models made of these grain cars, especially the Canadian ones with the province names upon them.

Most of my 1:29 is of the mid 20th.c 40ft stock and sadly these grain cars would be too long (and too expensive over here) in appearance for my back yard RR.

Although I have a purpose built ‘prairie sentinel’ on the railroad, it is set in the time period when grain was loaded in boxcars.

Anyone who has not watched the delightful film, by the National Film Board of Canada, about a grain elevator in Saskatchewan, its operation delivers to the elevator and subsequent loading of grain into boxcars have missed a real treat.

Health and safety experts should not watch it, however, as they may get apoplexy.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/grain_elevator

José Morais said:

Sometimes, the last name of a company (the family name?) has more staying power. Remember that Santa Fe was the last name of the AT&SF, standing for a small town that was not even served by its namesake mainline. However, more than a century later, the whole company was often known - and called itself - the Santa Fe. Will it happen again with the BNSF – twenty years from now, only the Santa Fe?

José Morais

Hi, Jose. I suspect that the BNSF will continue to be called the BNSF, as they no longer refer to themselves as the Burlington Northern Santa Fe, but just as the BNSF, even in their corporate papers. With the exception of these few covered hoppers, they have dropped all reference to their heritage, hence the BNSF “Swoosh” on their newest locomotives. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens when the current corporate structure is replaces with younger folks.

**No mention of Burlington Northern Santa Fe, here.**

Steve Featherkile said:

You are right, Alan, these carry grain. I think Mike was speaking with his tongue firmly placed in his cheek… again. :wink:

You sussed me out again Steve .

I would think that if you filled them with cement powder , they’d bend in the middle .

Or make for interesting track contours .

Actually , the word ‘Portland’ on the side prompted the joke , there is a well known cement brand of that name in the UK . But the badge isn’t quite the same .

Mike , failed comedian . Again .

…grinning…

Steve Featherkile said:

José Morais said:

José Morais

Hi, Jose. I suspect that the BNSF will continue to be called the BNSF, as they no longer refer to themselves as the Burlington Northern Santa Fe, but just as the BNSF, even in their corporate papers. With the exception of these few covered hoppers, they have dropped all reference to their heritage, hence the BNSF “Swoosh” on their newest locomotives. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens when the current corporate structure is replaces with younger folks.

**No mention of Burlington Northern Santa Fe, here.**

Steve,

I can’t remember the exact date but I’m thinking around 2005-2009 time frame BNSF officially changed the name from Burlington Northern Santa Fe to BNSF. 2005 sounds right as it was the 10 year anniversary with the merger. I remember much of the company documents that were reprinted from Burlington Northern Santa Fe into BNSF… What a waste of money, but much like UPS, and FED Ex have done over the years.

Oh and Mr. Buffett has been asked if BNSF will do a heritage locomotive fleet. His response was well less than flattering… I believe this was published in either Trains, or Railway Age.

The closest we have seen of a heritage fleet is something the Interbay/Vancouver carshops did when they repainted a BN (ex CB&Q caboose) into a GN paint scheme. The caboose is used by a switch job out of Seattle, and they protect the caboose at all costs… I believe that the crew repainted the outside in BN green before it mysteriously received the GN paint scheme.

I love it!

I guess I’ll have to paint my own bunsniff heritage fleet.