Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southern's Power Plant area

Steve Featherkile said:

I suppose I should have asked these with the original question… Smooth, or crushed rock, and how deep are the rocks?

Steve, I always use crushed rock, on just doesn’t want to walk on them bare foot… Most of my rock is not more than a few inches deep… The except would be the spillway, where about 7 acres drain thru the layout… I had to create a spillway to handle all that water, and the rock is about 6-8 inches deep… I started the base with a layer of about 5 inch rock, then spread inch and a half rock onto it, and mostly where folks would be walking on it, covered that with 1 inch rock…

Smooth rock would have a tendency to roll along with the water flow…

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Nice work Andy! You sure don’t let any moss grow. I notice all of the newer construction , here and some other threads I’ve seen, seems to be elevated. Is this intentional?, or just how it worked out with the space and design?

Randy, the basic elevations for the whole railroad was determined from the height of the window coming out of the basement, and the ground itself… When I started this, 15 years ago, I could easily get down and back up from the ground… My whole vision was to not have more than a 2 percent grade anywhere on the layout… Some areas are elevated and run along the retaining walls, however the switching puzzles and the majority of the industries are all worked at ground level… When we purchased the land in 2005, We picked this 7 acres because of the unevenness of the terrain… I thought it would lend itself to a nice layout setting.

" Rooster " said:

Andy Clarke said:

It’s all a calculated guess… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

When did you learn how to calculate anything other than how much gravy should be on a Haystack ?

Son, one needs to calculate much more than just gravy on a haystack… One has to have the right proportions of biscuit, meat, hash browns, eggs, cheese and gravy to insure a complete taste bud satisfaction…