Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southern's October 2020 Ops Session

Currently, we are still planning on holding the OPS session on 17-18 Oct…

However, this will be a limited attendance event… RSVP will be mandatory…

Masks will be required to be worn, covering both mouth and nose… A lot of folks

around don’t believe they need to wear a mask and when they do, they only cover their mouth…

Currently, our county is considered a red zone… Restaurants are not supposed to be seating

folks inside… Authorities have decided not to enforce this requirement for some reason.

A final determination will be made on Monday, 12 October as to whether this event

will go on… I’d like to get at least one OPS session in this year, but I don’t want anyone

including myself, Jane or my mother (who is visiting) put in a position to catch this disease…

Andy and Jane, I had planned on making this session, but with your above notice as much as I hate to do this I am going to pass and look forward to 2021. I have no problem wearing protection and practicing safeguards, but I would not want to chance being a carrier and passing it to others. Hope you are able to have this session and that the attendance works for you. I’ll look forward to pics. Be safe and stay healthy

Well, I had already decided to not attend - while it’s nice being pain free, the back surgery is still kicking me - they ended up making an 8" slit, but it needs to recover - OR I do, or something. Anyway, I haven’t even resumed my normal chores yet - I told Jean to let me have a month before I resume - my next appointment is about a month after surgery - October 22 - so, I’m letting that be my guide.

Anyway - this is always an event I look forward to - and we sure do hate to miss it. I’m sure hoping that 2021 will allow us to make the rounds to all our favorite operations! Good luck with it if it does happen!

Thanks, Dave…

Bruce, I totally understand…

Considering I’m the only one at my job that wears a mask and everyone else is attending weddings, large gatherings, eating indoors, etc…

Maybe by next fall (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Kinda wish people would be more respectful of others by now, I haven’t even run an HO train this year…

I think I’m going to Opt out too.

Ken, I fully understand…

Our plans are to attend. I don’t think we are going to bring the RV and instead just drive down Saturday and Sunday. Probably plan to be there about 4 or 5 hours each day. Understand people not attending, but it just seems normal for this strange year. Looking forward to 2021.

As an update to my original posting… Our area is now downgraded from the ““Red”” category…

Restaurants can now legally have indoor seating…

Masks and a RSVP are still required to attend the Ops Session…

This year has really been a wreck. I think it is best if we stay home also . It will work out best for all involved . There is a lot of confusion going on here. Joyce is finding it hard to follow a conversation.

All the best, Dale. You guys take care of yourselves. We got together last Friday for some test running at the Clarke’s and the conversation came up of the possibilities of who is going to show up for the Fall OPs. Speculations are all we have right now. Everyone wants to stay safe, but also everyone wants to have fun. Andy says he’ll make a final decision, probably tomorrow, as to whether to hold the Ops Session. All of us are looking forward to next year.

Originally, I stated to folks that I’d make the final decision on Monday, 12 OCT…

However, I made that decision yesterday… Ops for 17-18 Oct will be ON…

As stated a few msgs above, Masks and a RSVP are required to attend…

Andy Clarke said:

Originally, I stated to folks that I’d make the final decision on Monday, 12 OCT…

Cool! Hope you have great weather - I know it will be a great time. Wish I felt good enough to attend!

Always hoped to get to one of these open houses , but this quick of notice plus a ton of other things happening( nothing in the COVID world) make it impossible to attend, but still high on my bucket list of fun things

Bruce, you said - “Wish I felt good enough to attend!”

Whether you attend or not, we wish you were feeling that good. Hope to see you and Jean next year.

We had a test run on Andy and Jane’s layout last Friday. The track is in good shape for limited running, since last year. Looking forward to the weekend. No pictures have been posted, yet.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Andy Clarke said:

Preparing for the October Ops session has been going on now for some time…

Jane has been working tirelessly all spring and summer maintaining all the plants

and stuff… Lately, it’s been ballasting for the past few weeks…

Part of the prep, since the railroad hasn’t really been run since last Oct, was to

have the usual Friday Ops session gang over to run tracks to check track and

switches… Below are some pictures from the prep:

Jan is working clearing out switches…

Jan is watching closely as Mark G runs a train thru…

Mark G running a track check train during prep.

Ric running cars thru Overlook, checking track and switches…

Ric and Jan during Prep work.

More to come.

TMark as he runs trains thru Woodlawn checking track & switches.

TMark still running…

TMark’s train preparing to back into the basement(freight yard).

TMark backing in.

These pictures were taken Friday, 9 oct 2020… We also had an earlier session, the last Friday in

September… Their help was very much appreciated…

On Monday, 12 Oct 2020, Jane was out doing some ballasting of the track.

She acquired some helpers at Okawville…

Jane is always being watched closely by her supervisor, Jinx…

This what the tracks looked like after a weather front came thru Monday Mid-morning…

Hope to have more pics after the Ops session…

Glad to see you and Ric made it out to discuss the ballast work !