Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southerns Addieville Cut

Part of creating the town of Overlook is working on the Addieville cut, as the east wall is there to hold the earth back under Overlook…

Weather has been great, with no rain for the past 2 weeks. This past weekend was spent working on the retaining walls of the cut…

We started working from the sitting wall, just south of Hadley Park… The bridge in the background will hold the tracks from addieville proper to the cut.

Below is a picture taken from the Y bridge at the west end of Bluefield… The addieville cut is almost directly in the center of the picture…

Below is a picture of almost the entire cut… At the right, you can see the Overlook Siding tracks along with the Spur diamond.

Below shows the progress of the weekend’s work…

Geees you got some big leprechaun to lift curbing!!!
Great looking wall you got there!

Progress looks great. Could you even imagine doing a job like that without the Kubota?

Jon Radder said:

Progress looks great. Could you even imagine doing a job like that without the Kubota?

Or Jane?..:wink:

lol… No to Both Jon & Ken… :slight_smile:

Looks good! I figured you guys were taking advantage of this weather.

After unstacking all the Bluestone rock, there wasn’t enough latge flat pieces to do the entire wall. So, we went to Plan B… Got 2 skids of retaining wall blocks, and decided on doing 3 courses if these bricks…

Jane came home at 2 pm, and by 6:30pm, we had much of the east wall’s 3 courses done.

We had completed that, before the storms hit… Luckily, we only got an inch and a quarter of rain… Was enough to settle some of the backfill, however, it made the base rather loose and squishy to work on it today…

This is the way the cut looks as of this evening:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jeclarke/addieville_cut/Addiville%20Cut%20%2010-4-2014%20.jpg)

The bluestone will be used to increase the height of the east wall(on the left of the above picture).

Hopefully, it will have dried up enough to work on it tomorrow…

That’s a huge amount of work for 4 hours. Jane needs a day off!

Nice work so far.

Jon Radder said:

That’s a huge amount of work for 4 hours. Jane needs a day off!

I agree!

He ain’t paying her enough either

More work then I could could do in 3 times the time.

I do like that weathered truss bridge that is almost off screen.

I don’t know if either would be correct?
If Jane has a sister?
or if they both would adopt me???
Hmmm. Maybe I should just beg for trackage rights???
Love watching this layout for updates.
Thank you!!

Nice Job Andy!

Looks great. But it makes me tired just to imagine all the work. Hope to see it in a few weeks.

Robby Dascotte said:

Nice Job Andy!

Hey Robby, you should make an appearance at the next Ops Session. You have a lot of out of town customers going to be there. Wait a minute, almost everyone is out of town from Albion.

David Maynard said:

David, There are a few of those bridges on my layout… Actually, they are irrigation pipe shipping crates… They hold the stacks of irrigation pipes during shipment…

A fellow club member that works with a winery had a bunch of thses, just sitting around… Of course, when the rest of the club members saw them, we all shouted ““Bridges””…

Fortunately, we were able to purchase some from the winery… As built, they make a nice double track bridge, 12 foot long…

I have taken a few, and cut them down to make a single track bridge out of them…

I have not painted any of them, have just left them as I bought them…

That’s absolutely amazing! :smiley:

Andy Clarke said:

David Maynard said:

David, There are a few of those bridges on my layout… Actually, they are irrigation pipe shipping crates… They hold the stacks of irrigation pipes during shipment…

A fellow club member that works with a winery had a bunch of thses, just sitting around… Of course, when the rest of the club members saw them, we all shouted ““Bridges””…

Fortunately, we were able to purchase some from the winery… As built, they make a nice double track bridge, 12 foot long…

I have taken a few, and cut them down to make a single track bridge out of them…

I have not painted any of them, have just left them as I bought them…

And here I thought that you had spent hours weathering them, just so…

Use what you find to make what you want. That’s a farm boy for you. I do the same thing. Maybe we all have a touch of Mik in us. :wink:

Updates for work on the cut.

West wall progress

East wall, North end, complete with ““Inspector”” Jinx…

Southeast end of wall, with Overlook are on top of the wall.

Rain for the past couple of days, and more rain expected in the next few days. Hoping it dries out enough to work it and get the Overlook tracks in before the Ops on the 18-19th of Oct.